Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Assistance - Multiple Student Loans Defaulted

tag
Humbled82
Established Member

Need Assistance - Multiple Student Loans Defaulted

Hello group

I have multiple defaulted student loans and I dont really know how to start to fix them. I have gone to school twice and had to apply for loans during my terms at school. First time I had to leave school because of family matters and the second time I had to leave school because I could not afford it after a job layoff. Below is some details to the loans. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Number of Accounts: 14
13 of the accounts are: Direct
1 of the accounts is: Perkins
Loan Year Range (2000 - 2002): $4644.00
Loan Year Range (2011 - 2012): $32398.00

Total Student Loan Debt: $37042.00

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need Assistance - Multiple Student Loans Defaulted

Have you considered rehabbing them? 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 24
Humbled82
Established Member

@Adkins 

Thank you for the reply back. I am not sure what the rehab process entails or how to start it. Do you happen to have any information I can read on rehabbing student loans? 

Thank you again

Message 3 of 24
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Humbled82 wrote:

@Adkins 

Thank you for the reply back. I am not sure what the rehab process entails or how to start it. Do you happen to have any information I can read on rehabbing student loans? 

Thank you again

I'd start at the official government website: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/default/get-out

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 24
Humbled82
Established Member

@Adkins 

Thank you Adkins. I will start there and see what I can do to jumpt start this process. I really appreciate the assistance. 

Message 5 of 24
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

You're welcome! If you do a general "rehab" or "loan rehab success" search in this forum you should find some people's experiences to give you an idea of what to expect. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 24
Humbled82
Established Member

@Adkins 

Thank you Adkins. I was able to contact my loan servicers and start my rehab process. Its was fairly easy and with the student loan pause I dont have to start paying back the loans after August 31st. 

Thank you again

Message 7 of 24
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Humbled82 wrote:

@Adkins 

Thank you Adkins. I was able to contact my loan servicers and start my rehab process. Its was fairly easy and with the student loan pause I dont have to start paying back the loans after August 31st. 

Thank you again

You're welcome!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 24
DLynn1920
Established Member

Thank you for the tip.
I am afraid if I rehab the loan, my score will drop considerably because all of that negative information will be active instead of "closed." Am I assuming correctly?
VantageScore 3.0 in July 2021:

FICO 8 scores as of Sept 14, 2022:

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 24
Humbled82
Established Member

@DLynn1920 @Adkins 

Hi DLynn1920

I just recently started the rehab process, so I am waiting another 30 days to do a credit report pull to see what status my SL's will be updated to. So far as my current status (June 11 Credit Report Pull) on SL's are listed below:

EQUIFAX

• 14 accounts listed

EXPERIAN

• 14 accounts listed

Transunion

• 14 accounts listed

I plan on pulling my CR at the end of August, so I can let you know of the status change then. But if anyone on my thread can tell you any other details, hopefully they can give you an answer before me. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.