Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice about private loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice about private loan

I have two loans through salliemae, one is a private loan and the consolidated loan is a federal loan. Well I started back in school Sept 2nd and was out of school since june because I switched programs because of problems witht he school. My federal loan was under in school deferment but my private loan wasn't and I couldn't pay on it so it was over 100 days past due. Then I get a letter in the mail talking about they had deferred the private loans from 3/1/08 til 4/1/08. So that erased the 100 days past due and made it only 26 days past due. So since I started back school I just called and ask for them to send me some papers so I can defer my loans and they are talking about I can't defer my loans until I make a payment on my private loans because my private loans went in to repayment back in July cause I wasn't in school. I have never heard of this and I could've sworn that by law if I am attending school they have to defer my loans. I told them I can't make no payment that's the main reason I'm asking for an in-school deferment. I'm am so tired of that private loan I will never ever be talked into taking out a private loan again because you have no options. Has anyone heard this before and can someone give me some advice.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need advice about private loan

Nope...there is no law that applies to private loans and any deferments.  Those laws only apply to federal loans.  You need to refer to your prom note or your lenders web site for the rules on deferment  for your specific loan type.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.