Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelnet and forbearances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nelnet and forbearances

There are a few times in the history of my student loans that I became significantly past due(about 6 years ago). In each situation, I requested a forbearance, which were approved, and brought my account "Current", and last for a period of time. However, when I look at my current credit reports, I still see a couple instances of 90+ late periods. When I asked Nelnet, they said that I was given the forbearance I'd applied for, but that it only back dated a part of the late payments, and that to cover the rest, I was given an "administrative forbearance" to cover the rest of the late payments. I was also told that since it was "administrative", they didn't have to report those payments as current. I was under the impression that granted any forbearance that was granted to backdate to cover late payments should be marked as current. Am I wrong in that understanding? If not, what route can I go through to get those late payments fixed?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nelnet and forbearances

Is the forbearance backdated to before your late payments occurred? I wasn't clear on that, but if you applied for forbearance after the late payments, I don't believe they are required to report prior lates as current. Loan servicers are able to determine whether or not to grant a general forbearance. It is at their discretion. If the forbearance dates in your documentation cover the time of the late payments, you can try diputing with the CRA and provide the letter as documentation. The CRA will then contact Nelnet to verify the information. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for TPD, and before that I always had my loans on forbeance. When a person applies for TPD, Nelnet is supposed to communicate to the lenders and loans are put on deferment until a decision has been made. CES/US BANK is reporting 19 late payments, with positive payments for the first 5 months. I just disputed it, and received the results yesterday, and a few more months are now showing late payments. I’m confused as to how I have more late payments after disputing. I provided all my TPD paperwork as proof. The Dept of Education is reporting (on the same credit bureau) paid satisfactory. The CES/US BANK account and the Dept of Education account are the same account. How is it that the exact same account is being reported as 2 separate accounts, and one is positive and the other negative??? Can anyone tell me how I could obtain all forbearance and deferment documents? Any advice is appreciated.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are these Federal loans?
You said they are telling you stuff.... I'm guessing on a phone call? My experience with another servicer for federal loans that you always have to get it in writing. You probablydon't have to get them to correct the entry on the credit bureaus. Imo that might take forever and technically they are required to report accurately by law. However if you contact the CRA directly and do a dispute, with the documents you requested as proof, it would be removed. I have seen this done successfully with other students.
Other than that, sure they're 6 years old, you could also contact the bureaus and see what date you can request that they can be removed early by early exclusion.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the loans were federal loans. I’ve contacted them by phone on multiple occasions regarding the inaccuracy, and get a different answer each time. I took the loans out in 2002, and I was approved for discharge due to Total and Permanent Disability in 2013. I had loans from CES/US Bank and Citibank. Citibank reported correctly to the bureaus with the TPD, with no late payments. CES/US Bank is reporting correctly to only one bureau, and reporting to the others as a charge-off with late payments. I never had to make payments because I always put them on deferment but unfortunately I have no record of it. On my credit reports it’s reported the loans were opened in 2007 which is not correct, and closed in 2014, which is not correct either. On my initial application for TPD, it states that Nelnet has contacted the loan holders and instructed them to suspend collection activity for a period of up to 120 days, and during that period I am not required to make payments. A 3 year post discharge monitoring period is in effect once approved, and I fully met the requirements. I have been working with a credit repair law firm since 2016, and even with all the documentation I’ve provided, CES/US Bank will not budge. I’ve contacted them as well and provided the documentation, and they give me the run around... call this place or that place for example. They’ve even told me that I need to send them a copy of my credit report in order for them to make any corrections, which I refused to do. They do not need my credit reports, when they’re the ones reporting to the bureaus. I did a dispute on my own to the bureaus a couple of months ago, providing the bureaus with all documentation, and nothing was changed after the dispute was completed. Still showing as charge-offs with late payments. A charge-off is a negative item on a credit report, as well as the late payments. I’m so frustrated! Any further advice is appreciated!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sparty4eva: Wow!! That would drive me insane! I have found loan servicers to be horrible as well, and they are rarely held accountable.
First, you said you were on deferment but you have no proof. If you back to who was servicing your loan at the time you should be able to get the paperwork about the forbearance. I've learned the hard way you have to break up the phone calls so you only ask about one thing per call. With the following action I think that deferment paperwork can only strengthen your complaint.
Okay, so you've gone to the bureaus and US Bank no results...have you tried the student loan Ombudsman? It takes forever but they've helped some people (not me, but some). My go-to is the CFPB, the government's Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Avoiding politics, to simplify they've been a bit detoothed when it comes to student loans due to their diminished ability to enforce violations but generally I find it to be effective as the middleman/ Boogeyman. You submit your complaint and the party has 30 days to reply. CFPB keeps a database but they don't really enforce individual complaints. This is often enough though. My student loan servicer was refusing to process my IDR application on time. After 6 months I got fed up and used CFPB. Submitted lots of documents, and "highlighted" the relevant segments (you said an application said stated the specifics of what should happen with your status? Imo highlighting this will work well and reference the page in your complaint, maybe with small quote.). They fell over themselves to fix it after that!
If you get everything organized and are clear in the complaint and what you want (ie. You mentioned opening and closing dates. Do you want to use that to strengthen your case on inaccuracies or let it go because you want to focus on the latest?) I think it could go well. You'll also have to decide whether the complain is against the bureaus or US Bank. Or you could do both. And honestly if I hadn't gotten good results on the first, there's nothing that prevents people from submitting another complaint.
I wish you luck and let me know if I can help further.
Message 6 of 7
iowe
Regular Contributor

Nelnet is the worst bunch of incompetent hustlers that I know of. They have 4 bogus lates on my reports that I flat out was not late on. When I disputed them showing my payment history they denied it and still stuck me with the lates. 

I could go on a Christmas Vacation - Chevy Chase style rant about that company. They are in the same boat as Midland. Jackwads. 

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.