Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelnet lates, what is my next step?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nelnet lates, what is my next step?

I had all five of my nelnet student loans report as 90 days late in November of 2017.  oct of 17 they reported as current but got the my fico alert in november.  At the time I immediately went in and applied for and got a retroactive forbearance bringing them current - as the forbearance began in 7/17.  They have been current ever since, however when contacted about this Nelnet INSISTS they cannot change the credit reporting as it was correct "at the time" - then what is the point of the retroactive forbearance?  I have gone round and round with them and these NINE 90 days late are my only late payments on any account and are really affecting my score.  What can I do to get this corrected?  IF the account was in forbearance from 7/17 to 1/18 - how could it be correctly reported as 90 days late in 11/17?  

2 REPLIES 2
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Nelnet lates, what is my next step?

@Anonymous wrote:

I had all nine of my nelnet student loans report as 90 days late in November of 2017.  oct of 17 they reported as current but got the my fico alert in november.  At the time I immediately went in and applied for and got a retroactive forbearance bringing them current - as the forbearance began in 7/17.  They have been current ever since, however when contacted about this Nelnet INSISTS they cannot change the credit reporting as it was correct "at the time" - then what is the point of the retroactive forbearance?  I have gone round and round with them and these NINE 90 days late are my only late payments on any account and are really affecting my score.  What can I do to get this corrected?  IF the account was in forbearance from 7/17 to 1/18 - how could it be correctly reported as 90 days late in 11/17?  

If Nelnet won't help with this issue, have you tried Dept. of Ed Ombudsman?   Another avenue would be to file a complaint with the CFPB.   If you have the emails/letters with the retroactive forebearance, you can easily submit that as part of your evidence.

Good luck!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nelnet lates, what is my next step?

This is typical of servicers that give a retroactive forbearance. Because the law requires them to report it as accurate, they can't actually say the lates aren't lates (or that's my understanding of it). Instead you have to go around them, file a dispute with each credit bureau with your lettet approving the retroactive forbearance (dates included) and the dispute results should be that the lates get removed. It's a stupid bureaucratic process imo but a lot of people have had success with it.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.