Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelnet lates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nelnet lates

@Anonymous wrote:
So after trying goodwill for some time with nelnet to no avail, I realized the simplest thing. Nelnet marked 3 of my loans as 90 day late July 2015 and 120 days august. Interestingly enough, no 30 or 60 days at any point in time at all since the loan opened. Also, I was enrolled full time until Dec 2015. I literally took so long to realize this and so I called them up as soon as I was awake today. She verified that I was on in school deferment status since 2014 until the end of 2015 going into 2016. She confirmed it yet still said she's unsure of how it could be late. I asked a million times if that makes any sense and she kept saying no but refused to say anything when I asked for her to remove the lates. She sent me the typical in school deferment form to be filled out and said I'll just have to dispute it again after filling that. What is truly annoying is how arrogant do you have to be to tell me that you see your system makes no sense yet still hassle me and tell me there's nothing you can do to remove the lates and you yourself find it strange that 90 and 120 lates are showing with nothing before and deferment is confirmed until 2016. Nonetheless, I'm taking a stab at this and will have to trek down to my school to have this form filled out to verify my prior enrollment. Although oddly enough the form only specifies that I request forbearance or deferment for the future, and not in the past which I really need. Me applying for the deferment now would do me no good as I'm not currently enrolled and the school will simply fill out non student status. Ultimately I hope I get something out of this as I'm tired of trying the saturated goodwill method and getting no where with nelnet. My question is, if this doesnt work out, would any of the credit bureaus remove the lates if i was to provide them my transcript with enrollment status and let them know I should've never been marked late due to my student status? This is honestly downing my scores so much and even though I have no recent lates and with <15% util, I still have the "serious delinquency" marking to go with my score

Can you share your school statuses from NSLDS (example below)?

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 2.21.58 PM.png

Which way are the loans with the lates coded? Options:

DIRECT STAFFORD SUBSIDIZED

DIRECT STAFFORD UNSUBSIDIZED

FFEL STAFFORD UNSUBSIDIZED
FFEL STAFFORD SUBSIDIZED
FEDERAL PERKINS
FFEL CONSOLIDATED
DIRECT CONSOLIDATED UNSUBSIDIZED
DIRECT CONSOLIDATED SUBSIDIZED

Were you in enrolled in one school the entire time?

I understand it's easy to be annoyed with Nelnet, but it's actually not likely that it is their fault. I've never had to request deferment for in-school status, as the servicer has always been notified when I am enrolled through the NSLDS electronically. 

Does NSLDS have the correct withdrawal date for you? (example below)

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 2.29.02 PM.png

If not, the easiest thing you can do is go here: https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/secure/SaEnroll.do and add your qualifying school and the date you enrolled and NSLDS will verify this information FOR YOU. It will then be available to Nelnet through NSLDS.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 2.32.51 PM.png

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So, been calling them every day to get a status check. Docs were processed on April 14th, was told they'll have everything said and done by the 19th. I call them today to see that they've denied my request for in school deferment. I ask how or why. I get told the paperwork shows I was less than half time enrollment for that semester. It's so funny how that logic works because from Sept until Dec, I was enrolled in 6 credits and that qualifies for in school deferment status as half time but 7 credits enrolled from July until August does not qualify. I went as high as an account manager and she could not explain how that makes sense. They also went on to say "oh yeah btw we received your credit dispute and we have already auto generated our response that everything is reported accurately." I asked her according to Nelnet what qualifies as half time status and she said there is no such information or classification, and that the processing and credit department would know. I ask to speak with them, got put on hold 40 minutes and got hung up on the first time. The second time I was on an hour hold and then told oh sorry I guess they're closed and gone for the day so try back tomorrow. I really should just pursue legal action at this point. I have their own form filled by the school with the information they need and they said they can verify that 6 credits from sept-dec is halftime but 7 credits does not. Honestly I wish something worse than death to these people and I'm normally very kind and courteous even when I have to escalate but this is just beyond ridiculous or even bearable.

6 credits would not qualify. It would make sense that your status was changed to half-time, thus putting your loans in a grace period. The grace period is 6 months, then loans are due 45-60 days at the end of the grace period. This aligns perfectly with your timeline of the lates, and checking NSLDS details would likely give you that drill down.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well seeing that Sept till Dec was auto approved and they randomly decided to add on these lates just a few months ago, it really doesn't make sense. If the school stated that 6 credits is half time and my nelnet account shows in school deferment for that, it is hard to believe the school would say otherwise for 7 credits. The school registrar verified I was halftime and even the financial aid office gave me a printout of showing halftime for those semesters. The nlds site shows enrollment three quarters time effective 09/2014 and withdrawn 12/2015.
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well seeing that Sept till Dec was auto approved and they randomly decided to add on these lates just a few months ago, it really doesn't make sense. If the school stated that 6 credits is half time and my nelnet account shows in school deferment for that, it is hard to believe the school would say otherwise for 7 credits. The school registrar verified I was halftime and even the financial aid office gave me a printout of showing halftime for those semesters. The nlds site shows enrollment three quarters time effective 09/2014 and withdrawn 12/2015.

This has nothing to do with Nelnet, they are merely acting on information they receive from the NSLDS.

The breakdown of the loan codes that are sent to the servicer can be found at both https://studentaid.ed.gov and https://www.nslds.ed.gov

Where are you finding past deferment statuses and past enrollment statuses? Neither my nelnet nor nslds shows that past data, other than figuring from the loan codes.

IF Nelnet is at fault, all you have to do is verify the information in NSLDS shows that the loans were in deferment during that time period, and not in repayment, and file a complaint against Nelnet with that information with a letter of intent to sue.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is from the nlds. Shows full time and three quarter time. Also here's what's in the text file of all my loans from the fsa site:

Loan Status Description:IN REPAYMENT

Loan Status Effective Date:03/15/2016

Loan Status:FB

Loan Status Description:FORBEARANCE

Loan Status Effective Date:12/22/2015

Loan StatusSmiley Very HappyA

Loan Status DescriptionSmiley Very HappyEFERRED

Loan Status Effective Date:09/02/2015

Loan Status Effective Date:04/14/2015

Loan Status:RP

Loan Status Effective Date:03/15/2015

Loan Status Effective Date:12/20/2014

Loan Status Effective Date:09/03/2014

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a call today from another account manager at nelnet. Basically she stated that going forward she will handle my account directly and she wants me to have the application filled out once again and she will speak directly with the credit reporting team and document processing team to ensure this gets put into the Nelnet system properly. Even nlds shows more than half time until 12/2015 which is hilarious if they want to point the finger that way now as the reason why I can't qualify for deferment. If the account went into deferment 4/2015, then why should there be anything due until after the 45 day grace after withdrawal from that semester? It straight up says deferment 04/2015 followed by deferment on 09/2015 based off my school registration. Where in that mix does it mention me having to pay anything or subsequently cause me to go 90 or 120 days late.
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is from the nlds. Shows full time and three quarter time. Also here's what's in the text file of all my loans from the fsa site:

Loan Status Effective Date:03/15/2016

Loan Status Effective Date:12/22/2015

Loan Status Effective Date:09/02/2015

Loan Status Effective Date:04/14/2015

Loan Status:RP

Loan Status Effective Date:03/15/2015

Loan Status Effective Date:12/20/2014

Loan Status Effective Date:09/03/2014

Were you attending two schools simultaneously? You show two different withdrawal dates.

Also, are these consolidation loans? You don't show any grace period here before entering repayment.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, there is no 45 day grace period. That's just how long it typically takes for a payment to become due. Sometimes longer. 

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, two separate schools at different times. Second being about a year and a half afterwards. In the interim of me not being enrolled until 9/2014 I made 10 or 11 payments a month after I withdrew from the first school just to help bring down balance as much as I could. This is why I say that I had to manually go to Nelnet and request in school deferment because I was already making payments to them and if out of the blue I just stopped they probably would've made it much worse for me. Then I'd be in the same spot I'm in now because each semester until completion, I went ahead and requested deferment in case it wasn't automatically updated. This is also why I know what my Nelnet account states as repayment status for particular dates and their reps do confirm which semesters I was approved for in school deferment status based on my applications. It's just funny to hear this all of a sudden their logic is completely bogus. Anyway, the school called and said they will have my form ready for pickup today. Sadly I'm not gonna have any time during office hours to pick it up until next week so I may just have them mail it themselves and hope for the best.
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Low and behold I got a call from the same account manager after I uploaded the new documentation early yesterday. She asked to send them again directly to her as the processing team had already denied my claim for the credit inaccuracies. She verified it herself and said she's holding up to her word and is submitting the accepted processed documents along with the dispute to update the lates being removed. I asked her to chime in with any updates if possible along the way and she said ultimately by the end of next week, they should have all new reporting sent out and we will continue to communicate via email going further. I can't breathe a sigh of relief just yet cause they seem to drop the ball or find some excuse at the end to dent my request every time. Although I'm much more hopeful as this was officially the second time I got a follow up call from the same woman who said she's taking the account responsibility herself to correct this
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.