cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelnet refi/payoff. Send Goodwill to remove lates??

tag
Shaman0429
Established Member

Nelnet refi/payoff. Send Goodwill to remove lates??

I needed to refi my nelnet student loan because rates are crazy low right now. I had a 90 day late payment two+ years ago and its a major drag on my scores. Since this payoff is fresh is it worth sending a goodwill to get those lates removed? Or perhaps just rolling the bones with a dispute?

Thanks in advance for the collected wisdom of this group.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nelnet refi/payoff. Send Goodwill to remove lates??

That's great that you were about to get a better rate! Congrats!
A 90 day late will not decrease in effect for the full 7 years, unfortunately. I had one just fall off some recently and got a 48+ point boost. Good news is the original tradeline is closed so there's a better chance. The Higher Education Act prevents the servicers from changing accurate lates... That doesn't mean it's not worth it anyway. It's worth a try! Search the saturation technique on here.
If you try the saturation technique or dispute method, make sure the 90 day is the true max late and that you don't have a 120 that could pop up if they refreshed the account. If you're unsuccessful either way, as a last resort 5 1/2 years down the line you could start attempting a dispute to ask for an early exclusion.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but if it's any consolation if you continue to improve the rest of your credit report, there should be nothing stopping you from getting scores closer to the mid-700's.
Message 2 of 4
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's great that you were about to get a better rate! Congrats!
A 90 day late will not decrease in effect for the full 7 years, unfortunately. I had one just fall off some recently and got a 48+ point boost. Good news is the original tradeline is closed so there's a better chance. The Higher Education Act prevents the servicers from changing accurate lates... That doesn't mean it's not worth it anyway. It's worth a try! Search the saturation technique on here.
If you try the saturation technique or dispute method, make sure the 90 day is the true max late and that you don't have a 120 that could pop up if they refreshed the account. If you're unsuccessful either way, as a last resort 5 1/2 years down the line you could start attempting a dispute to ask for an early exclusion.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but if it's any consolation if you continue to improve the rest of your credit report, there should be nothing stopping you from getting scores closer to the mid-700's.

^ Everything @Anonymous said.
I would go with the goodwill technique if you're sure that it won't backfire (that there's a hidden 120 late or something).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 4
Mookey67
Contributor

What would be the basis for a dispute? Is it accurate? Disputes are basically for inaccurate information. You may want to try the goodwill route.
Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.