Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelnet requested to see Credit Reports

tag
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Nelnet requested to see Credit Reports

We have submitted for consideration of retroactive forbearance on two late payments incurred on DH’s federal student loan accounts. We know full well that it isn’t guaranteed, of course. Nelnet has responded by email, requesting we send in his credit reports to review. Has anyone ever received a request like this!? I am very hesitant to send them ALL of his credit information. That seems a bit off. Thoughts?
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nelnet requested to see Credit Reports

That doesn't sound right. If they even needed the information, couldn't they pull it themselves?

I would talk with someone else, on the phone, and find out what day to are deal is. None of the people in here who got a retroactive forbearance mentioned sending in their credit reports.
Message 2 of 6
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Thanks I have never seen this either. The email, while it appears to come from nelnet, even has some font issues. I guess I’m not inherently trusting but I don’t understand why they would even ask for that. I also told DH we do not need to send it, they can pull his information from their system that they need, and he needs to call someone tomorrow.
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 3 of 6
radfam
Frequent Contributor

I’m also happy to post a screenshot of the email, names and account info blacked out. It creeps me out that they requested to see copies of his reports. I have had forbearances, some retroactive, and I’ve never had to provide credit reports. I also dont have accounts serviced with Nelnet.
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha! I believe that anyone who has a student loan should learn to be less trusting. 😉
I guess there is a skin chance they need it, but i would go with my gut. The font would set of my alarms too.
Hopefully you can get a better informed answer but they should at least be able to say why they need it. I don't exactly like giving them my tax returns, but I can see why they need it. This doesn't make sense imo.
Best of luck to both of you and your experience will probably help someone else down the road.
Message 5 of 6
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Thank you! I will update after he has called Nelnet and we have more information.
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.