cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never late & paid off federal student loans still on my report 7.5 years after payoff?

tag
1LostArk
Regular Contributor

Never late & paid off federal student loans still on my report 7.5 years after payoff?

My federal student loans are my oldest account(s) and I assumed they would drop off 7 years after they were closed (never late, paid as agreed). Is this normal? I won't complain if they stay there as long as they want, being my oldest accounts and all. I'm just trying to be strategic about making sure I don't need new credit if and when these accounts drop off, since that will shave 4 years off my credit history.

Business Cards:
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Never late & paid off federal student loans still on my report 7.5 years after payoff?

@1LostArk wrote:

My federal student loans are my oldest account(s) and I assumed they would drop off 7 years after they were closed (never late, paid as agreed). Is this normal? I won't complain if they stay there as long as they want, being my oldest accounts and all. I'm just trying to be strategic about making sure I don't need new credit if and when these accounts drop off, since that will shave 4 years off my credit history.

Accounts closed in good standing typically remain on your credit report for ten (10) years.

While the age of the account is currently helping your AAoA, at the ten year mark you could take a hit depending on the age of your other Accounts. 

This closed loan does not help with credit mix.

Opening more Accounts for the sake of opening accounts,  isn't always the best strategy. If you currently have a sufficient number of accounts there isn't much reasoning to open other's. 

As long as you don't go on major app sprees, your AAoA shouldn't take much of a hit if you should need to open a new account in the future (Opening multiple new accounts will negatively effect AAoA with a thin file).

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 4
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Never late & paid off federal student loans still on my report 7.5 years after payoff?

Positive accounts (even student loans) generally stay on your reports for 10years.  Could be more, could be less.
You might take a hit when they fall off, and making sure that you've got a thick enough file to take the hit could be beneficial to you - but I echo the above with "don't go crazy" and watch the math.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 4
jade200
Established Member

Yup. This just happened to me. I took a huge hit- 24 points. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.