Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Student Loans

tag
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

New Student Loans

I'm new to student loans but not to credit in general. Right then, I have seen that people has issues with student loan servicers and I don't know if the issues are they can't pay the loan or they forget to pay it. I have seen this issues and it's made me scared to get any as I have worked for 14 years to have 5 star credit and don't want to wreck my credit on a loan, I have no intendeds not to pay it back, it I'm more then pro active on making sure it's paid as with any of my loans / credit cards. My loans are not going to be much as my employer is paying for most of the cost and I only have to pay for books and a small part of my classes around 1k for books and classes each quarter so that my payment will be very low. I'm looking to see what people have issues with and ways to to make sure that everything goes well. One last thing when I talked to the US DOE reps told me that they services are know for not reporting loans right and people has a mess with it that also what makes me nervous.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ccquest
Established Contributor

Re: New Student Loans

People generally have issues when they miss payments or need to deal with customer service for some reason. You can avoid both of those by just signing up for auto pay, linking your bank account info, and letting them handle themselves. I had no issues with the way Navient, Great Lakes, Sallie Mae, or Citizens/Firstmark have handled my account so far because I set them up to autopay and don't have to remember anything else.

Citizen's Bank has been very easy to work with on setting things up and adjusting things like due dates and payment amounts.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 2 of 7
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
People generally have issues when they miss payments or need to deal with customer service for some reason. You can avoid both of those by just signing up for auto pay, linking your bank account info, and letting them handle themselves. I had no issues with the way Navient, Great Lakes, Sallie Mae, or Citizens/Firstmark have handled my account so far because I set them up to autopay and don't have to remember anything else.

Citizen's Bank has been very easy to work with on setting things up and adjusting things like due dates and payment amounts.

My school mess up my fed aid package and I had to do a loan with Salle Mae I did the variable rate as I got 1.50% and the loan is very low only 1k so I don't really care if it goes up a little, Sallie Mae has been good so far. I think people bury their head in the sand and don't stay on top of it and that is the reason that their are issues. 

Message 3 of 7
ccquest
Established Contributor

Variable rates should be okay for now, but just make sure they don't go up too high. When I had to take private loans they were around 9-10%. That's part of why people hate the companies, they don't fully understand what they are getting themselves into and how quickly balances grow on that.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 4 of 7
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
Variable rates should be okay for now, but just make sure they don't go up too high. When I had to take private loans they were around 9-10%. That's part of why people hate the companies, they don't fully understand what they are getting themselves into and how quickly balances grow on that.

One thing I will say that I found out with Sallie Mae that a rep told me one thing and when I was looking the docs over said that same thing different and the reps basically told me to listens to the reps over the docs I would not do that, I can see how people can get in trouble with the loans after going thru them.

Message 5 of 7
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

The ED reps said that the servicers are know for reporting wrong and that makes me nervous that they may not report it or that their would be an error. I know that errors can happen but has anyone else been told that?

Message 6 of 7
calyx
Super Contributor

All of my issues with servicers were a failure of communication (as in, I was not told when the status of my loan changed or they were assigned to a new servicer - from either end) and them getting information about programs/loans wrong.

I don't think I had any incorrect reporting (I in fact, did not pay servicers I didn't know I needed to pay when my file got broken up among different servicers) in and of itself, but I'm just one data point.

Staying really proactive and on top of things honestly would have prevented a lot of my woes, and I think for a good number of people here that also unfortunately come here for help (like I initially did) after already being mired in problems.

Not-reporting happens, but is not a serious problem.  Incorrect reporting is a lot easier to fix on the front end as it happens rather than trying to fix incorrect reporting after months (or years).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.