Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining student loan question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obtaining student loan question

Hello,
My husband and I filed March 13th. We have our creditor meeting this upcoming Friday, April 19th. My husband is going back to school in May so he did a FAFSA. When he looks on his school account about the aid, it says someone will reach out to him because the student loan data shows his previous loans were discharged or included in bankruptcy. Well obviously his loans are not going to be discharged, but we are currently in bankruptcy so it won't reflect that until discharge. I didn't think he would have a problem getting a student loan and now I'm worried. Are they going to deny him federal student aid due to the bankruptcy?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Obtaining student loan question

I THINK he will be ok as long as you are not trying to discharge any SL debt.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes this absolutely could be a problem for you, unfortunately.  I tried to get a student loan from my credit union just last week.  I was credit approved and everything but in the end I was denied because ONE of my loans is still reporting as "included in bankruptcy."

I think technically until you get the discharge the loans ARE included in the bankruptcy.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read private student loans are a no go. I'm wondering more about federal need based loans.
Message 4 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

My assumption is that the loans are coming directly from the Fed Govt.

Private loans are private loans and will always be more difficult.

The only hang ups I know of on Fed Govt loans is being behind on payments or drug convictions or maybe other felonies.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. We were never behind on them as they were either in income based repayment or forbearance. Forbearance before the filing.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggestion would be not to wait for them to call you. if you talk with the school's financial aid department or directly with the Dept of Education, they should be able to give you solid answers.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.