cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On to the next chapter... Consolidation... who and where..

tag
devineer1
Regular Contributor

On to the next chapter... Consolidation... who and where..

Now that I am at a pretty decent place with my Credit/Store card lines.. I need to focus on the next chapter of my book, which is my student loans. I have some with Navient and the others are with Nelnet. Those with Nelnet are do for payment now and those with Navient are still in deferment. I need advice on what to do, do I qualify for a rehab program to get all those old late pays off my current credit profile or not. Also get to a point where I get a payment that is managable. Where do I go to consolidate these items to have them reflect in my favor? Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

I am but a work in progress, taking one day at a time, learning to be more patient. In the Garden as of 12/01/15

Equifax 569
Trans Union 607
Experian 588

Goal to be at or over 650
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: On to the next chapter... Consolidation... who and where..

Rehab is only an option for federal loans that are in default.  If your loans are still being serviced by Navient/Nelnet, they are probably not in default.  I would not let them go into default just to do rehab, because there is no gaurentee that rehab will remove the late pays, and it will make your credit substantially worse while you actually default and go through the rehab.

This website: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans has great basic information about loan repayment for your federal loans.  It goes over consolidation, payment plans, and ways to delay payment in certain situations.  I would read through all of it, and then post back if you have questions about a specific option.

If you have private loans, they have different terms.  You would need to contact your lender about your options for those loans.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.