Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Owe University of Phoenix money and need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Owe University of Phoenix money and need advice

I owe the UOP $764. I need to deal with it so that I can get my official transcript and enroll into my local community college. This debt has been on my credit for 6 years and 6 months. I would like to start school in the fall but they won't admit me until I deal with this. I am also hoping to buy a house in the next 12-18 months. If I pay this off, is it going to reset the clock so to speak, on how long it's on my credit? Also, with the debt being almost 7 years old, do you think they would be willing to settle for a smaller amount? Should I just wait for it to fall off of my credit and then pay it? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Owe University of Phoenix money and need advice

Paying it does not restart the clock. Removal date is based on the date of first delinquency, and that does not change when you pay the balance owed.

They may be willing to settle, just make sure settling won't stop you from getting your transcripts (they may want payment in full to release the transcripts). No point in waiting for it to fall off first - thus, holding up your own plans.

Pay it and be done. It will drop off soon and this will finally be behind you.

Also - look into early exclusion. You can request Transunion delete up to 6 months prior to scheduled drop off date; Experian is 3 months prior; Equifax is 1 month prior.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a two year old UOP charegeoff that I paid in full. Once I paid I was sent an email almost immediately saying that I could now access my transcripts. I also sent them a good will letter asking them to remove the charge off and they did.
Message 3 of 7
Civil
Regular Contributor

I am in the process of disputing with University of Phoenix right now for a balance that I was missed informed on by my financial advisor

Message 4 of 7
Civil
Regular Contributor

I actually got good news, I contact UOP and after their investigation they agreed that I do not owe them anything. So they are removing my balance of $1175 off of my credit. 1/3 charge offs left to go for baddies reporting.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Civil: That's awesome!! Congrats!
Message 6 of 7
Civil
Regular Contributor

Thanks, getting my report clean is my goal

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.