Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Collection with the US Department of Education

tag
geekhou05
New Contributor

Paid Collection with the US Department of Education

Hello all,

I have a Paid Collection with the US Department of Education that has 18 (yes 18) 120 day lates that I would like to have cleaned.

I did speak with the Dept/ED and they advised that the account is paid and satisfied. I don't necessarily agree with the 120 latest and I had no knowledge of the account until the IRS pulled $200 from a tax refund in 4/08, which was no biggie.

I have disputed this with the Dept/ED and the CRAs, with no good outcome. I did request and received a letter from the Dept/ED advising that the account was paid and closed. 

Does anyone have advise or experience with the Department of Education?

Tks,

Geek

ED

Message Edited by geekhou05 on 09-28-2009 02:05 PM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Collection with the US Department of Education

Same thing happened to me. Received a financial aid over payment of $33. They mailed a notice to my old address asking that I pay the money back. 2 years later I pulled my credit report and found 17 late payments. I payed it on the spot, but the damage was done. Tried disputing with Dept of ED and CRA, no luck. There's got to be a way to beat this.
Message 2 of 5
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

That is standard reporting of your final status.  Paying off or paying on a default is still negative.  They could actually report you 180 days or more. 

It isnt going anywhere.  Time will heal it. 

Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 3 of 5
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Interesting...I paid off my loan & it's reported as a new collection as of Feb 09.  I tried absolutely everything with them...including the ombudsman office.  NO luck!

I feel your pain.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 5
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Same thing happened to me. Received a financial aid over payment of $33. They mailed a notice to my old address asking that I pay the money back. 2 years later I pulled my credit report and found 17 late payments. I payed it on the spot, but the damage was done. Tried disputing with Dept of ED and CRA, no luck. There's got to be a way to beat this.

Two years of "lates" for $33 is absolutely rediculous!  So...when WOULD collection status kick in???  Did they send you those Gramm-Leach-Bliley letters during that time?  They're good for that. REALLY knowing where you live...but never actually sending any bills or acct info to that address. Then totally dumping on your reports.

Welcome to the "I hate the DoE club"!  Smiley Mad

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.