Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Off Defaulted Student Loan from 1996

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Off Defaulted Student Loan from 1996

So, I went to college for two years, one year I got a GSL, that was 1987 and 1988. I then joined the military in 1989 and got out in 1993. I then started working at the USPS and left in 1996. I had deferred payment till then. In 1996 they consolidated my loans for $3598. I guess I made two $100 payments and I have been running from them ever since. I even got a call last Veterans Day for collection.

Anyway, so today I call wanted to settle, I am tired of running from something I owe.

I dealt with Action Financial Services.

They then quoted me a one-time payoff of $6400. I think they said it was a 50% reduction in Interest and remove all fees. I jumped on it. I did not ask for a lower amount because I was willing to pay more. They did have to get the OK from Dept of Education, I think they logged onto DofE's server to make sure the $6400 was still good. 

I owed $11,498 according to DofE telephone. Their website said I owed like $9,500.

They do not accept Credit Cards, just Debit Cards or Electronic Check.

Now, I have read that the DofE can come back later if they don't agree with the settlement, but since the originally settled amount was a DofE number, and they double checked the amount, I should be OK.

They did say I would be sent a 1099 for the amount that was written-off for tax purposes.

So, if you have to deal with AFS, and you have the money, stop running, pay your debt and feel free again. I hope your experience goes as well as mine.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid Off Defaulted Student Loan from 1996

Just an update. I contacted the DofE's 1800 number and talked to a live person, they said I have a $0 balance, no defaulted loans, the automation says it is still in collections. She also did submitted for it to be removed from CAIVRS, takes around 2 days, if it had not already been done after the payoff, I likely was on it, but I dont know.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a great feeling, congrats!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

One last update. I got a letter from AFS LLC and the numbers were

Principal $3,591.56

Interest $5,619.69

Fees $2,242.02

Total $11,453.27

So I was happy to pay $6,400 which I think is fair. 

This was the number from the DOE to settle, so it gives others at least an estimate of what they do settle for, and who knows, I could have asked for more relief, but I had the means and I wanted to pay a fair amount.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.