cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off student loans. Credit Score dropped 33 points. Why?

tag
Sigmanu316

Paid off student loans. Credit Score dropped 33 points. Why?

I had my student loans for 9 years. Last month my balance was down to $1,700.00 and I paid if off in one shot. A few days ago I checked my report and saw my score had gone down 33 points as a result of this. Why?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off student loans. Credit Score dropped 33 points. Why?

Here's a guess: You have no other open installment loans, and the student loan that was open is now closed. How am I doing?

Message 2 of 12
Sigmanu316

Why would it drop though?
Message 3 of 12
egghead88
Regular Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me about 6 months ago. It’s the way FICO views open installment aka your credit mix. My guess, you don’t have any other installment loan open and my closing/ paying off your student your credit profile credit mix took a hit. There are numerous debates on this forum about getting another installment loan to eventually regain “some” of your points. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it closed it could also have affected your average age of all open accounts.  Do you have other accounts like credit cards open?

Message 5 of 12
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Sigmanu316 wrote:

I had my student loans for 9 years. Last month my balance was down to $1,700.00 and I paid if off in one shot. A few days ago I checked my report and saw my score had gone down 33 points as a result of this. Why?

I can think of a few reasons for this. The first is that you no longer have any installment loans open so your credit mix just took a tumble. The second is that when it comes to open accounts your average age just went down. It is common to get student loans young while not yet having a credit card or other accounts so by the time they are paid off they are the oldest account you have. In reality it depends on what exactly is written in the report as we do not see what changes are in there.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 12
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@zerofire wrote:

@Sigmanu316 wrote:

I can think of a few reasons for this. The first is that you no longer have any installment loans open so your credit mix just took a tumble. The second is that when it comes to open accounts your average age just went down. It is common to get student loans young while not yet having a credit card or other accounts so by the time they are paid off they are the oldest account you have. In reality it depends on what exactly is written in the report as we do not see what changes are in there.

No, this is not true. Closed accounts continue to be factored into the AAoA calculation for FICO scoring as long as they remain on a person's credit report.

VantageScore, which many lenders offer for free, only takes into account open accounts for the AAoA calculation but almost no lenders use VantageScore - they almost all use FICO scores.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 7 of 12
mspenny
Valued Member

If I had to guess, it would be because the account is now paid/closed and essentially inactive. There is no further activity on the account to report. They will still factor it in to your AAoA because it was recently closed but as far as scoring payment activity, they cant because it's paid. Therefore, it is one less account to factor into your score. If it was the only account you were paying on, score should level out but dont expect too much score growth, again, because reportable payments have ceased. You may need to open some new credit lines to advance your score.

Message 8 of 12
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

A lot of great answers above. The FICO score is essentially a "Debt management" score and not a "Financial wealth" score... so if you aren't making payments on any debt then you'll have a lower score than if you have an open debt that you're making payments timely on. If you went out and got another installment loan then you would have a score boost. Weird, isn't it?  

I would have done what you did regardless on the effect on your CS. Just keep that in mind for paying off future debts. I just paid off $23K to a car loan because I was tired of having income tied up to banks. My score dropped too. Oh well, at least I don't owe anyone a car payment each month now haha. 

My next debt in line is the $17K left on a student loan too. After that I won't have any installment loans either.... in fact I'll be debt free at that point.

You did the right thing. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 9 of 12
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

The FICO score is essentially a "Debt management" score and not a "Financial wealth" score.

Gospel.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.