Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off student loans reflecting as closed accounts on my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off student loans reflecting as closed accounts on my credit report

My student loans went into default back in the early 2010s. I paid them off in full 2 years ago. With how student loans work, it reflects as 11 closed accounts due to 11 quarters I took out student loans for. Can I fight these to get removed from my credit? Are they negatively affecting my score?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off student loans reflecting as closed accounts on my credit report

I think the default stay on your record up to 7 years from the date of first delinquency.

You said you paid them off but did you rehab first? This would remove the default. Are the lates on your original accounts?

Personally I would try to find a solution that included just getting the lates fall off. A dispute night be the solution, but it might also remove the accounts. If you can keep the accounts on as long as possible that should still factor into your credit score, I believe. Maybe someone can help with that info.
It may just be a matter of doing a dispute and crossing your fingers that the accounts stay.
Message 2 of 5
calyx
Super Contributor

Second Sabii's question about rehab.

Honestly, if you just paid them off from default then they can stay on your credit report for up to 7 years.
If you did just pay them off from rehab, then I would recommend trying a goodwill writing campaign to get them removed.
As they're paid off, the HEA no longer applies to their reporting, so at least that one impediment has been taken from the equation.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to piggyback on this. So for my husband's 6k he owes we can rehab to have it fixed on credit and then just pay it off? Were looking to be in a new house before june so waiting 9months in rehab isnt going to help and I've been reading consolidation but we really just want to take out a personal loan and be done with it. Hes getting garnished now.
Message 4 of 5
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm going to piggyback on this. So for my husband's 6k he owes we can rehab to have it fixed on credit and then just pay it off? Were looking to be in a new house before june so waiting 9months in rehab isnt going to help and I've been reading consolidation but we really just want to take out a personal loan and be done with it. Hes getting garnished now.

That's going to totally depends on the DOFD for the accounts.
When did he default?

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.