Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Loans in Full?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay Loans in Full?

Hello Everyone,

I am currently saving for a home but in my research debt can be an issue. I thought to myself why not pay off my student loans and get them out the way (Die Die Kill it with fire). Then I read that if you pay them off your FICO can take a hit. I only have the credit cards in my sig and the student loan accounts. Is it still the best thing to do? 

These are some data points:

Loan balance: $28,963

Average interest rate: 5.66% (1 loan is a high 10.25 and the majoprity are 4-6.8%) I have been tageting my payments to the high interest loan so thats why my average is so low

No mortgage or Auto loans

I don't see a major downside but I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: Pay Loans in Full?

How much are your total payments each month? Is it manageable for you? Is it a significant portion of your monthly income? When getting a mortgage, banks will look at your DTI ratio, which is the sum of all your debt payments including the house, divided by your gross monthly income. Generally this number should be under 43%. If your current student loan payment, other debts, plus the potential payment of a house you'd like to buy is under that 43%, you should be ok.

I still think you should pay off the loan at 10.25%, or at least refinance it to a lower rate. That's burning money.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 2 of 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Please be aware that paying off all your student loans will likely cause your scores to decrease since they are your only installment loans. Personally if I was you I would pay off the high interest one and leave the rest unless you have a real problem with DTI.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My DTI is fine but I don't like paying interest. Looked at how much I payed last year. Like yeah my score will drop a bit but that is temporary right? The simulator says I could gains 30+ points. Even if I get half of that bump but lose 10 points off of that due to pay off I would be happy. I actually want to start working with my DW to pay her loans off. She owes as much as I do.

Message 4 of 6
Simply827
Established Contributor

Take the info from simulators with a grain of salt. If you want to pay off your higher interest loans, that's ok. Definitely get rid of the 10.25 % loan. I think it's more important to have cash available for your house, retirement etc. If you have a small balance loan at 4%, that's fine to leave that as your open installment loan if you really would like to pay your loans off. 

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 5 of 6
rooeez
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am currently saving for a home but in my research debt can be an issue. I thought to myself why not pay off my student loans and get them out the way (Die Die Kill it with fire). Then I read that if you pay them off your FICO can take a hit. I only have the credit cards in my sig and the student loan accounts. Is it still the best thing to do? 

These are some data points:

Loan balance: $28,963

Average interest rate: 5.66% (1 loan is a high 10.25 and the majoprity are 4-6.8%) I have been tageting my payments to the high interest loan so thats why my average is so low

No mortgage or Auto loans

I don't see a major downside but I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

Can you outline each loan - amount borrowed, remaining balance, APR?

Like others have said, pay of the highest APR loan first, but if you have others you really just need to have one open to help your FICO scores before trying to get a mortage. Just get the utilization ratio down below 30%, or 10% if you can.

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.