Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay extra payment toward principal with Nelnet

tag
James3
Contributor

Pay extra payment toward principal with Nelnet

I would like to make extra payments toward my Nelnet loans, especially since they are deferred until the end of the year. Does anyone know if this is possible? The last time I contacted Nelnet, the most helpful message I received from them was "If you want to pay your loans faster, make more payments." I'm using an income driven repayment plan, if that matters.

FNBO Evergreen
GM Copper Card
Wells Fargo Signature
Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards
Citi Double Cash
Wells Fargo BILT
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Pay extra payment toward principal with Nelnet

Yes, you can make extra payments any time you want.

When you sign in, select payment by group and you can see when each individual group payment is due.  You can pay each individually and if you don’t select the “do not extend due date” button, it will push your due dates out farther.  These are simple interest loans, there is no disadvantages to making extra payments and pushing our required payment due dates.  I have some that are not due till 2022 but I keep paying on them.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay extra payment toward principal with Nelnet

Sorry, I'm a little late here. Personally, I'm holding onto my money until after the election. There are proposals from both camps about student loan forgiveness....I doubt it'll be 100% but...just in case, I'm holding off for now. In December or January, I'll decide if i should pay down on it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.