Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off part of student loan

tag
K_J
Regular Contributor

Pay off part of student loan

I have all my Student loans consolidated with one servicer (Fedloans) and my loans have different account numbers. The loan amounts are $10,009, $10,009 $10,009 and $2,509.  My question is if pay off the $2509 would this help with my fico scores? And is it possible to pay off one and not the other since they all have different account numbers? The monthly payment is only $10.00 for the $2509. Thank you.

Starting Score: EQ: 532, EX: 569, TU: 621 (All lender pull 10/15/11)
Score: EQ: 660,lender pull 4/13, EX: 671 lender pull 4/13, TU: 691 lender pull (4/13)
, current Score (3/16/17) EQ: 724. Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay off part of student loan

It's possible, but since installment accounts are a relatively small part of your FICO score, it might not do much to your scores.

A lot depends on what the rest of your credit looks like. That money might better be used to pay down revolving debt, or to get a secured card. It all depends on what the bigger picture is in terms of your credit.

Message 2 of 6
SCF
Valued Contributor

It is possible to pay off that part of the loan, since its a seperate account, and your payment will go down by the amount that was being allocated to that loan.

As far as your FICO score, it won't really have an impact.  The loan will continue to report for 10 years with its current payment history (thought any negatives, like late payments, fall off after 7 years).  It might move your score a few points due to changing the number of open accounts, but as the fellow above me said, you'll need to look at the bigger picture if your goal with that money is to improve your credit score.  On the up-side, paying off the loan will save you a good chunk on interest, and get you that much closer to being debt-free!

Message 3 of 6
K_J
Regular Contributor

SCF,

My goal is to increase my score, however, I'm in the process of applying for a mortgage loan in november. If I get a secured cedit card does this count as an inquiry? thank you for the reply.

Score: EQ: 660,lender pull 4/13, EX: 671 lender pull 4/13, TU: 691 lender pull (4/13)

Message 4 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

@K_J wrote:

SCF,

My goal is to increase my score, however, I'm in the process of applying for a mortgage loan in november. If I get a secured cedit card does this count as an inquiry? thank you for the reply.

I'm not SCF, but yes.

Message 5 of 6
K_J
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I would resist the urge for a secured card till I close for now

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.