cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying on loans during forbearance

tag
annalue1972

Paying on loans during forbearance

I have two years left before my Chapter 13 can be discharged. I am looking for ways to bring up my pitiful credit score. I have two student loans that are in forebearance and I am able to make payments on them. What I am wondering is, will paying on the student loans during forebearance help my credit score at all? How will Navient report my payments to the credit bureau? 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying on loans during forbearance

Sadly it wont help at all, since during forbearance your account is already being reported as "paid as agreed". Its not a bad idea to pay atleast the interest though, as you don't want to compound interest on interest
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying on loans during forbearance

@annalue1972 wrote:

I have two years left before my Chapter 13 can be discharged. I am looking for ways to bring up my pitiful credit score. I have two student loans that are in forebearance and I am able to make payments on them. What I am wondering is, will paying on the student loans during forebearance help my credit score at all? How will Navient report my payments to the credit bureau? 

Thank you. 

It won't be an immediate help, but paying down your loans is never a bad thing.  Part of your credit score is your balance on loans compared to the original amount.  If you are paying them down then that balance keeps falling.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.