Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Sallie Mae Loan Balance Transfer to CC

tag
wantitgone
Contributor

Private Sallie Mae Loan Balance Transfer to CC

Previously, I was trying to look into refinancing my one private student loan with Sallie Mae, which was sitting at ~7100 and 11%! However, nobody would refinance because it was less than $7500 and I had a bk two years ago. My partner and I were going to start paying off my car loan faster, mostly to get it paid down, but my loan is now only 4.79%.  So I decided to try another route to save money while paying my loan down.

I was trying to see if I could BT the balance to a credit card and I have a Penfed Pathfinder w/ a 10k limit that was offering me a BT 0% for 12 months with a 3% BT fee. Turns out, it was something I could do and it was completed yesterday on the card, and the loan was paid off today! Now this loan will be paid off in a year rather than by 2028 and I'll save thousands in interest. I'm thrilled!

ETA: I do know this will increase my utilization on the card for a little while but I am not planning on applying to anything for the next year and will be paying $600 a month, if not more, to pay it down. Plus any extra income/bonus will go to the balance as well!

FICO 8 on 5/31/19 ~~ EQ: 608, TU: 545, EX: 585
BK 7 DC 7/9/19
FICO 8 on 01/31/2023 ~~ EQ: 693, TU: 677, EX: 678

NFCU CLOC $1,000

Apple Card 4,500
Williams Sonoma $1,250
NFCU CashRewards $2,500
NFCU Flagship $12,100
Navy Federal Platinum $25,000
PenFed Pathfinder $12,500
Kemba CU Platinum $3,500
Amazon Store Card (Synchrony) $1500
Paypal Credit $850
Capital One QS $2,000
Capital One Spark $2,000
Overstock Store Card $2,150

AAoA: EQ - 7y9mo, TU - 7y8mo, EX - 5yr7mo (as of 01/31/2023); INQ are 2 EQ, 6 TU, and 5 EX.

New Auto Loan with NFCU (May 2022): 32k for 3.49%/60 months

My DPs: as of January 2023, I am full-time employed, 55k/year, 2 federal consolidated loans plus 3 new student loans, had perfect payment history with 0 derogs until 90 day lates prior to filing BK in March 2019.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Private Sallie Mae Loan Balance Transfer to CC

@wantitgone wrote:

ETA: I do know this will increase my utilization on the card for a little while but I am not planning on applying to anything for the next year and will be paying $600 a month, if not more, to pay it down. Plus any extra income/bonus will go to the balance as well!

As some people like to say on the forums finance before FICOs. Always prioritize saving money over scores, scores can recover but money lost due to interest is gone forever

Congrats and keep up the good work over there

Message 2 of 4
calyx
Super Contributor

Very nicely done!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 4
Rudy1
Established Contributor

Good thinking! You'll end up saving I couldn't understand if that 11% was the rate or the util of the account if that's the rate you'll save $3,111.82 in interest and $2,898.82 after the BT fee.  If the 4.79% is your current rate on the Sallie Mae loan not the car loan then you'll end up saving $1,270.74 in interest and after the BT fee $1057.75. You should be thrilled! Yeah it will raise your utilization and your score will take a hit but if your not apping for anything it won't matter and it will make a recovery and when it does you'll be student loan debt free all at 0%!

>
Goal Cards:
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.