Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private loan-claim filed with Govt.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Private loan-claim filed with Govt.

Hello, I have tried reading up on similar situations with private student loans to understand mine but I still need some guidance.

My Bk 13 was discharged a year ago. Under the plan I had a federal student loan (not included) and a private student loan with AES/Key Bank (which I thought was included but was not). I now realize I should have been more proactive in making sure I understood my chap 13 plan but I wasn’t, during the plan I was just making sure I was paying my payments ($850 each month paying 100% back). I didn’t check credit report etc, I REGRET this part now, yet at this point I want to do things right.

Right after discharge I was contacted by KeyBank collection dept stating the loan was in default since 2015 when I filed my BK13 and they were looking for payment. Loan total amt was $736 (Sept 2019), we set up payment arrangement for late Sept-Feb automatic withdrawal $75 each mont. March COVID hit and work situation, like for many, got flipped upside down. I was lucky to have a job...just completely different than what I was used to-working from home with my son full time and I got sick end of March. In April I got a letter from CA National Enterprise Systems asking for balance, at that point I was confused bc I thought I was working with Keybank. From then to now...life got a a lil more crazy (surgery/family sick also with Covid) and here I am now.

So...I guess what I want to know is, at this point do I just call CA and pay the amount due and that will be it? Can I even ask them to PFD? What makes this more confusing for me is that on report it shows IIB with EQ/TU but on Exp it shows “claimed file...” (see pic) What does this even mean-claimed file with govt on a private loan? I don’t want them to file judgment or whatever else they can do for a smaller amount I can pay off. 

F7D62DA7-59FB-4E2B-A12F-004B7ED81B02.jpeg

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Private loan-claim filed with Govt.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I have tried reading up on similar situations with private student loans to understand mine but I still need some guidance.

My Bk 13 was discharged a year ago. Under the plan I had a federal student loan (not included) and a private student loan with AES/Key Bank (which I thought was included but was not). I now realize I should have been more proactive in making sure I understood my chap 13 plan but I wasn’t, during the plan I was just making sure I was paying my payments ($850 each month paying 100% back). I didn’t check credit report etc, I REGRET this part now, yet at this point I want to do things right.

Right after discharge I was contacted by KeyBank collection dept stating the loan was in default since 2015 when I filed my BK13 and they were looking for payment. Loan total amt was $736 (Sept 2019), we set up payment arrangement for late Sept-Feb automatic withdrawal $75 each mont. March COVID hit and work situation, like for many, got flipped upside down. I was lucky to have a job...just completely different than what I was used to-working from home with my son full time and I got sick end of March. In April I got a letter from CA National Enterprise Systems asking for balance, at that point I was confused bc I thought I was working with Keybank. From then to now...life got a a lil more crazy (surgery/family sick also with Covid) and here I am now.

So...I guess what I want to know is, at this point do I just call CA and pay the amount due and that will be it? Can I even ask them to PFD? What makes this more confusing for me is that on report it shows IIB with EQ/TU but on Exp it shows “claimed file...” (see pic) What does this even mean-claimed file with govt on a private loan? I don’t want them to file judgment or whatever else they can do for a smaller amount I can pay off. 

i have that notation on my defaulted SLs. They are all fed backed loans, but through private servicers. Is that how yours is? One of mine is through AES, but it is still a fed loam, just through a private servicer. This is how many of the older fed loans worked up until 2010/2011.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Private loan-claim filed with Govt.

I believe mine was a private loan, I took it out to complete masters in 2004 but it was a loan I needed in addition to the Federal

loan I had already through Navient. The last time I checked the student aid website I wasn't able to find it listed, which I had read meant it was private not federal. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.