cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private student loan

vmoore0607
New Contributor

Private student loan

About three weeks ago, I applied for a mortgage. The lender said all was good until it came to my student loans. They are in deferment so I wasn't sure what he was talking about. I checked closed accounts and it looks like there are three private loans that are showing charged off. I was under the assumption that they were a part of our bankruptcy. I received a call today from a collection agency requesting a settlement payment. The guy was rude and tried to tell me contacting my lawyer was pointless. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
dragontears
Valued Contributor

Re: Private student loan

@vmoore0607 wrote:

About three weeks ago, I applied for a mortgage. The lender said all was good until it came to my student loans. They are in deferment so I wasn't sure what he was talking about. I checked closed accounts and it looks like there are three private loans that are showing charged off. I was under the assumption that they were a part of our bankruptcy. I received a call today from a collection agency requesting a settlement payment. The guy was rude and tried to tell me contacting my lawyer was pointless. Any ideas on how to proceed?

I would start by contacting your bk lawyer and confirming if they were actually discharged.

Scores hover around 800
Haven't been AZEO in over a year
Rome was not built in a day, neither is a good credit profile
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.