cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really feeling desperate and down about ACS Goodwill efforts. Advise please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really feeling desperate and down about ACS Goodwill efforts. Advise please!

So I am fairly new to the forum and have been reading as much as I can when I have the time.  I have heard of success with ACS removing lates allowing a one time goodwill adjustment.  I recieved some contact info that someone else had mentioned granted them with a goodwill ajustment.  I contacted them and over the course of 3 weeks it really looked like things were going to work in our favor.  Well, I recieved and email that stated according to federal regulations they are obligated to report what happened blah, blah, blah.  Such a crock!  I mean come on..you can do it for one person and then not for another.  It reallly blows b/c this is the only thing that is holding us back.  We are really feeling desperate.  The reason why is b/c the state we live has a grant option for down payment and it ends after July.  We were hoping to get this grant so that we could get into our dream home.  I am very sad and confused as to why these people just pick out of a hat who they will grant a goodwill ajustment and who they will not. 

Any advice is appreicated.  Oh btw, I have contacted everyone I can think of at ACS with no luck.

Thnaks,

Sc

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Really feeling desperate and down about ACS Goodwill efforts. Advise please!

Is this board dead?  I have posted several times on this forum and no one ever responds. 

Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Really feeling desperate and down about ACS Goodwill efforts. Advise please!

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this board dead?  I have posted several times on this forum and no one ever responds. 

SLs is probably one of the slowest...I know zilch about SLs, but regardless of who is reporting, if I had a late or lates reporting I'd GW them too. I don't care about others' successes or failures. They are not me. Therefore, I'd treat ACS just like any other creditor and GW them until they said "yes".

If had that, I would start from ground zero. I start by sending a single GW letter (snail mail) to the address listed on my CR. If they came back with anything other than a yes or if 30 days passed, then I'd GW again in Round 2.

I'd use the same address and probably add a corporate address as listed on their website. If both letters resulted in a response other than "yes" or no response to both within 30 days, then I'd start round 3.

In this round, I would send a letter to the same reporting address, to the same corporate address as used before, and I'd add a 2nd corporate address if there was more than one listed (I'd focus on original source contact info: I'd find them via SEC filings if they are public, via their website, via their privacy policy on their website, via my CR if they report more than one address, and via any docs I had in my possession like a contract, etc.). I'd mail these three letters snail mail at the same time. In Round 3, I'd add a phone call GW. If they say anything other than "yes" in the phone call, then I'd ask for additional mailing addresses, fax numbers, e-mails, phone numbers, etc., but I would hold short of using that contact info.  I'd be very cordial and friendly make a notation of who I talked to and when, so that if I call again and get the same person, I can recount our conversation, ask how things are going, etc. So, with the 3 letters and the call, you basically would have made 4 GW requests  this round. If all the responses came back with anything other than a "yes" or 30 days passed, then I'd start Round 4.

At some point in time, you'll get written responses or e-mails back. I'd add those contact address and names and any fax or phone in their letterhead to my arsenal and consider them an org. source for info.

In Round 4, I'd send GWs again to the address(es) on my CR, to the corporate address, and to a second address as provided by them. I'd also call the same phone number as before thereby making 4 GW requests. I would add another org. source contact info like any mentioned above or any as listed on ACS' letterhead if they sent any response. AND I would add a 5th letter this round to a specific contact person like an exec., or to any contact person on any letter received from them during these rounds. PLUS, I would call the same number. If you found a second phone number (e.g. from their letterhead, their letters to you, numbers offered by the CSR you talked to already, etc.), I'd use that too. PLUS if they provided a fax from their letterhead or from a conversation or from their website, I'd fax too. PLUS, if they provided any e-mail info up to this point, I'd try that too. So, in this round, you would send 5 GWs snail mail. Make 2 phone calls. Send one fax. And send one e-mail. This totals 9 GW requests.

From the first month to the fourth, you would have made 16 GW requests. I would re-write the letter with each round to keep it fresh and original and keep it to a half-page to 3/4 tops. I would also include in the GW my phone and my e-mail (and fax too if possible). I'd include any identifying info like account numbers to make it as easy as possible for them to find me.

GWing is a numbers game. A no today does not mean a no tomorrow. You just haven't found the right person yet. If after the 4th round all signs point to "no", then I'd take a break for a month and pick up where you left off. I'd start Round 5 with the same 9 GW requests and I would add one more snail mail to their corporate address or other contact, I'd add one more snail mail to an exec. or decision maker, I'd another phone call, another fax, and another e-mail if possible. In total, I'd send 14 GW requests the following month. Then I'd repeat and repeat and repeat and take a break. You probably won't get this far, be prepared. Practice your letter writing now. Be very friendly and cordial.  I had a simular issue with a Verizon Wireless CO. I followed this method and eventually ran out of contact info. But the zenith of my efforts, I was sending 14+ PFDs every single month. I mailed hundreds of them. Eventually I found a yes and the no's did not matter at all.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Thank you for the response and for the info.  I have to say we really don't have 6 months to get this going.  However, I will do what I have to.  I have already emailed several times to a contact I have and they keep giving me the same old story even though I have called them out on it and said they do give GW.  I have emailed so many people and exeutives to help with no response.  I feel like I am almost being abusive with how much I am bugging them.  I have to keep going though.

I am going to try snail mail since I have not had any luck with email.  I know there has to be a chance we can be treated equally as others have.

Thanks again!

Sc

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely agree with llecs; persistence is definitely the key. Now I don't know if I have the patience to go round for round month after month; however, I would not give up. If this item will cause problems with you getting that loan, then you've got to do what you've got to do. As far as emailing execs, I have only been successful with doing that once. I find that sending snail mail to execs has worked for me. If you don't have a lot of time, I would start your new round with sending letters to several execs (immediately) and see if you have success with that. Now they won't be the ones to respond back, but they should be forwarding it to the right persons who can help you.

Also, the other key is not only to make sure that your letters are cordial and polite, but also that your letter is very compelling; because if it is not, you'll get no luck. You essentially have to make them feel sorry for you to bring out their empathy.

BTW: As llecs said...the SL forum is not as active as the CC forum. If I didn't have SLs, I probably would never come to this forum.

I'm wishing you much luck. I really do hope that you can get this resolved to your satisfaction.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I have been extremely persistant about our issue with a particular person at ACS.  However, it is pointless and I am going to have to go around them.  This person is clearly picking and choosing who they will allow a Goodwill forgiveness and who they will not.  At first they said it is federal regulations yadda, yadda and then when I showed them proof that they (the ACS employee) did indeed grant a GW just a couple of months ago they came back with "well their situation is different and we were allowed to".  I told them they were discriminating etc.  Regardless this perosn is not going to do a thing to help me so it is time to move on.  I did send emails to the board of directors at ACS and all they did was forward them to this individual.  Not sure where to go from here.  Pretty upset b/c this is the only thing holding us back from getting a mortgage.  Also, our lates were from 2 years ago and we have not been late since.  I am even in school and paying my loan due to wanting to get it paid off and due to not trusting ACS to NOT report lates b/c of me being in school.  They seem a bit underhanded in my opinion.

I will not give up though.  I have to believe someone out there will help us.  BTW...do they send you a letter stating that they will do the goodwill forgivness or is ti just done. 

Thanks,

sc

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who are you send the emails to at Acs
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.