Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing Private Loans After Ch7

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Refinancing Private Loans After Ch7

I was able to refinance my high interest (12%) Navient (originally Sallie Mae) loans after my Ch7 was discharged by having a cosigner using Commonbond. My current rate is 6.25%. This is obviously better.

Debt at start of repayment 55k (3/2018)
Debt transferred to CB 45k (12/2018)
Current status at CB 36k (12/2019)

I'd really love to get a lower rate, but is it possible with the ch7? I really don't have access to a great cosigner. My credit has surpassed the family member who helped me with the original refinance.

Let me know if any additional information might help. If there's nothing for now, does anything open up in the next few years? Paying the minimum I'm just under 5 years from done, but I try to pay more when I can.

I also have a lot of fed loans (175k+), but I'm good there with an income based plan and on track for PSLF in less than 8 years (and have the annual documentation so I'm sure).

Thanks in advance!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Refinancing Private Loans After Ch7

I am not familiar with which lenders will look past your BK, but have you tried the usual online suspects like Earnest, Lendky, and Sofi?  They have online preapprovals you can check to see if they might work with you.

You could also try to see if any of your local credit unions might work with you?

Good luck!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 3
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: Refinancing Private Loans After Ch7

So far the few online folks that let me get through the prequal with a possibility of working with me want a cosigner due to the bk. Totally understandable, of course. I'll look into the CU route. Thanks for the suggestion!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.