Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehab Confusion at DoE !!!

tag
Capya
New Contributor

Rehab Confusion at DoE !!!

Wow.

I just had the oddest conversation with the DoE.  I began rehab 11 months ago on 2 FFEL loans and a Consolidated Direct Loan.  I finished the rehab last month, and after a little extra paper work, they said the loans would be picked up soon by a new lender.

DoE removed all traces of my old loans from the credit bureaus. (Credit Scores went through the roof!)

A week later my 2 FFEL loans were picked up by Sallie Mae.

It had been a month, and my consolidated Direct Loan is still sitting there.   I called and spoke with a supervisor, and she told me the rehab paperwork hadn't been completed, but that she would expedite it, and that it should be done and picked up in the near future.

I wait 10 days, and call again (today) the lady puts me on hold, and comes back to tell me:

"I'm sorry that nobody ever told you this before, but your consolidated Direct Loan is not eligible for rehabilitation."

Whaaaaat!?!?!?!?   

Not eligible for rehab, and I just need to set up a new payment plan for my remaining loan.  I've searched the interwebs, but haven't found anything confirming that.

Now, what the heck is this tradeline going to look like when they start reporting again?

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Rehab Confusion at DoE !!!

Did they not explain why your DL was not eligible for rehab? Have you been paying it along with the rehab payment?

Message 2 of 4
Capya
New Contributor

She seemed to be saying it wasn't eligible, because it was a Consolidated Direct Loan.

It's included in the payments I've been making for rehab, and they even deleted the old tradelines once I made my 9th payment.

I'm not sure if the lady really knew what she was talking about, if it wasn't eligible for rehab, or if it just wasn't going to be picked up by a new servicer...

My obvious fear is that when they report the tradeline again, it will include my past derogatory marks.

I think I really need to call back tomorrow and speak with someone more senior.

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@Capya wrote:

She seemed to be saying it wasn't eligible, because it was a Consolidated Direct Loan.

It's included in the payments I've been making for rehab, and they even deleted the old tradelines once I made my 9th payment.

I'm not sure if the lady really knew what she was talking about, if it wasn't eligible for rehab, or if it just wasn't going to be picked up by a new servicer...

My obvious fear is that when they report the tradeline again, it will include my past derogatory marks.

I think I really need to call back tomorrow and speak with someone more senior.

You can call the DL servicing center and ask for a supervisor.  I think their confusion is that you consolidated and then defaulted. Consolidation is also a way to bring loans current after default, which I believe disqualifies from further rehabilitation or consolidation offers. However, if your direct loans were not in default prior to consolidation, I don't see what is preventing rehab on those loans.  Unfortunately I have not been able to find a complete list of repayment options and other benefits that are forfeited when someone does consolidate direct loans. 

You may want to check NSLDS and MyEdDebt for default status. I've never had to use the MyEduDebt site before personally. I hope it helps.

https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/

https://www.myeddebt.com/borrower/DMCSBorrowerHome.action

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.