Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehabbed Student Loans - FICO impact?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rehabbed Student Loans - FICO impact?

Hey folks

My defaulted student loans for over $225k ($150 is interest + penalties I think) will be 9-month rehabbed next month. I called them (Coast Professional) to confirm this a few weeks ago.  They fell off my credit report about 9 years ago. The last loan was issued in 2004. There are about 30 different loans. 

- will all of those loans appear as new trade lines?

- Will the incredible astronomical sums owed capsize my rebuilding FICO scores?

- will all the lates disappear given how old these loans are ( >7 years)?

Just to reiterate these are rehabbed not consolidated 

thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rehabbed Student Loans - FICO impact?

So I've tried to mine the forum for some of the info, let's see if I can answer my own questions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey folks

My defaulted student loans for over $225k ($150 is interest + penalties I think) will be 9-month rehabbed next month. I called them (Coast Professional) to confirm this a few weeks ago.  They fell off my credit report about 9 years ago. The last loan was issued in 2004. There are about 30 different loans. 

- will all of those loans appear as new trade lines?

Yes, each loan will show up as a new trade line. But I am not sure about this.

- Will the incredible astronomical sums owed capsize my rebuilding FICO scores?

Not necessarily. Loan tradelines are treated differently than credit card debts, so utilization doesn't have the same impact

- will all the lates disappear given how old these loans are ( >7 years)?

The consensus seems to be that any lates/negatives that are older than 7 years will not appear with these new loans

Just to reiterate these are rehabbed not consolidated 

thanks in advance!

Did I get these right? Thanks for any input

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect! *Writes A+ at the top* 😁

1) yes and no. They will show up again with a new servicer and look like be tradelines, but they will be backdated. So that's great because they're usually one of the oldest tradelines. 

2) It doesn't really matter that much. It counts for very little of your score. I think the consensus was like 20 points penalty? All I know is that I'm over 100% and it's not hurting me much. The other thing to keep in mind is once it's over 100% you're not going to lose any additional points. 

3) correct. I think I read somewhere that although the tradeline may or may not get removed (if the loan is still in repayment) the lates should be removed. 

Glad you rehabbed and that everything will work out well for you. Check out the plans, especially IDR. Also keep on top of the first payments as servicers are often not very helpful. And also keep in mind they won't report to the credit bureaus until 90+ days late so you have to watch your account. 

Congrats and good luck.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Perfect! *Writes A+ at the top* 😁

1) yes and no. They will show up again with a new servicer and look like be tradelines, but they will be backdated. So that's great because they're usually one of the oldest tradelines. 

2) It doesn't really matter that much. It counts for very little of your score. I think the consensus was like 20 points penalty? All I know is that I'm over 100% and it's not hurting me much. The other thing to keep in mind is once it's over 100% you're not going to lose any additional points. 

3) correct. I think I read somewhere that although the tradeline may or may not get removed (if the loan is still in repayment) the lates should be removed. 

Glad you rehabbed and that everything will work out well for you. Check out the plans, especially IDR. Also keep on top of the first payments as servicers are often not very helpful. And also keep in mind they won't report to the credit bureaus until 90+ days late so you have to watch your account. 

Congrats and good luck.

Thank you! This is awesome advice 

Message 4 of 6
MommyNeedsABreak1
Established Member

@Anonymous @Anonymous 

these are the questions and answers I've been searching the entire web for! Lol. Currently rehabbing my SL . their 7 year mark to fall off is in August for EQ and they have already fell off EX and TU via early exclusion.  I really need that age of them because my credit profile is very new . Hoping those positive trade lines come back. I've finally realized how important on time payments and having good credit is. This forum has absolutely helped my turn my credit around for the good. I think I'll make a rebuilding post and tell my story. My scores have went up over 100 points since 4-15-20 .. literally a couple months! Thanks again and best wishes to you @back2reality 

Message 5 of 6
JamP
Valued Contributor

My loans were so old they fell off long ago and my fico scores became pretty solid.

When I rehabbed, all my loans showed up again and gave me a 20+ year credit history which gave me a modest bump in fico scores.

I was able to consolidate down to two instead of 16, then two new credit lines showed up and the rest were closed. My credit history was back to normal unfortunately. 

I dropped points, I can't remember how many exactly but it was significant at first. 

I had accumulated some credit cards so I paid those off before the new tradelines hit my credit. I was worried about my credit cards balance chasing me.

My scores are now better than they ever were. 

I wish my DW school loans were this easy.

Also, I want to give kudos to  @Sabii for helping me with my loans, it seems so long ago now.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.