Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Date Opened / Reported Since

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae Date Opened / Reported Since

To preface, I took student loans out from Wells Fargo.  I was never notified of Sallie Mae taking them over and I never received ANY communication from Sallie Mae.  Therefore I never paid Sallie Mae.  But I digress.  Now I'm in the rehab program and am paying my loan off ever so slowly but according to agreed terms.

My question is: how long can Sallie Mae keep reporting to the bureaus?  I've read that it's 7 years from first report.  Since SM likes to report each term's loan individually, I have "Date Opened" as far back as 1995 and as recent as 2002.  All "Reported Since" are within 2 years because they keep changing that date although I have copies of old reports that put all of the Reported Since at more than 7 years.

First, can Sallie Mae, being a govt loan, post to the bureaus for as long as they so choose?  If not, would it be considered forgery for them to keep changing the Reported Since date to keep it recent?

I've been able to clean up all of the other inaccuracies on my report but these old loans that I never technically signed for and that are not now even owed to SM are really costing me a lot of money.  Each time I report SM to the bureaus, SM updates the Reported Since dates to make the loans look newer than they are.

(Please refrain from pointing out the lack of need for the powerful and mighty SM to follow legal documentation procedures.)

Thank you in advance for letting me know about the application of the 7 year law in regards to this situation.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Date Opened / Reported Since

Welcome to the forums!  Smiley Happy

If I understand correctly, your Sallie Mae loans are currently open, is that right?  (I'm not sure how it works when your accounts are being rehabbed.)

If your accounts are open, then they will continue to report for as long as you keep them open.  If they are closed, then in theory, they should stay on your reports for about 10 years, & the negative information is what should drop off at about 7 or 7.5 years.

The "Reported Since" date is really unimportant, & has nothing to do with how long something will or will not stay on your reports.  It is not making your credit history any longer or shorter.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you laz! The accounts are closed and have been at least since they first sent to collections a few years ago. I started the rehab with collections about a year ago and with Student Assistance Foundation about 4 months ago. ECMC has since dropped off but the original SM is still being reported. So I guess my question is when does the 7 year count begin and how would one convince the bureaus to stop reporting the old info? Ive done tons of successful disputes but I just cant get their attention on SM.
Message 3 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you laz! The accounts are closed and have been at least since they first sent to collections a few years ago. I started the rehab with collections about a year ago and with Student Assistance Foundation about 4 months ago. ECMC has since dropped off but the original SM is still being reported. So I guess my question is when does the 7 year count begin and how would one convince the bureaus to stop reporting the old info? Ive done tons of successful disputes but I just cant get their attention on SM.

Sorry, I think I gave you partially bad information earlier.  I should have waited until after I had napped to post! Smiley Sad  Sorry about that.

It occurs to me that if you are rehabbing your loans, it's so that there will be no more negative information, so there would be no negative information to drop off.  But I thought the rehab process was about 9 months to a year?  You  said it's already been over a year, right?  Are you just waiting for someone to pick up your loan?

What I said about open & closed accounts is still accurate, I'm just not sure it would apply in your case, because in theory, your rehab should take care of the negative information before regular credit reporting rules would kick in & take the information off your reports anyway.

The 7-year period usually starts from whenever you were delinquent & never got caught up again.  So say you were only 30 days late in January 2004, & then got caught up, & were never late again.  Then that late payment should drop off at the end of January 2011 (sometimes they drop early, but still).  With collections, if you were late in January 2004, got caught up, & then were late again in June 2004 but never got caught up this time, your 7.5 year period (collections stay on an extra 6 months or so) would start from June 2004.  Does that make sense?

Just as a general comment, you should stop disputing ASAP.  Unfortuantely, the information is correct, & you could end up being flagged as a frivolous disputer, & then you will have a much tougher time disputing truly inaccurate things later on.  (This is not a comment about Sallie Mae, this is about disputes in general.)

Anyway, hope that explains things a little better!

Message 4 of 9
raisinitup
Regular Contributor

I have this same issue going on with Sallie Mae - do they not have to delete their lates once rehab is completed like all of the other loan agencies ? I assumed all of the negatives would be removed (as I too am waiting for my loans to be picked up since I've completed rehab in November). 

12/11/12 Starting Score EQ FICO - 583/ TU FICO - 615/
4/1/13 - Lender Pull - TU - 645 EQ - 675 EX 712
Each One - Teach One
Message 5 of 9
SCF
Valued Contributor

If Sallie Mae was your original lender, they do not have to remove the lates as part of your rehab.  A number of lenders DO remove the lates (or the old tradelines entirely), and all lenders are supposed to update the default status (though they may need some prodding).  Any entries from the collection agency you worked with on the rehab should disappear once your loan is picked up.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply SCF. In my case SM was not the original lender, they apparently bought my loan (without anyone providing me any notification, bill or otherwise) so in that case they are supposed to drop off the report once rehab is done and/or 7 years have passed? Ive disputed this several times but nothing has happened so what recourse would I have?
Message 7 of 9
SCF
Valued Contributor

Did Sallie Mae pick up your loan after your rehab was completed?  Are the lates from before or after the rehab?

If they were your primary lender at some point before the rehab, they don't have to remove the lates, but they may if you ask.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again SCF. So I got my loan from Wells Fargo. Some time after graduation SM took it over, right around '03 or '04. I never made a payment to them. ECMC apparently held my loans for several years and I never paid them. Then about a year ago a collection agency contacted me and we got going with rehab. Then about 4 months ago SAF took it over. So now I have SAF on my report (good), ECMC is off and some SM is gone. But the SM that is still there keeps getting updated to show it being a newer default than it is....and I have old report copies showing original default dates of about 10 years ago. I think that should constitute fraud since it costs me real money every month, provided they are, in fact, in the wrong.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.