Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Outrageous Repayment

tag
michintom
Valued Member

Sallie Mae Outrageous Repayment

Hello Everyone,

Today I received an e-mail from Sallie Mae regarding an update on my student loan.

I logged in and saw there was over 10 different e-mails from sallie mae. 

I only make $2,600 gross a month and my Sallie Mae student loan payments are due on 6/16/2013.  I need to start paying $for two different loans.  One loan for 120 payments of $321.67 and the second loan for 120 payments of $713.87.

Is there any way to lower the monthly payments because with the two payments of $1035.54 and my car payments, credit card payments, cell phone, utilities, and etc. (Gas, Food) I won't be able to survive. Smiley Sad

Any recommendations? 

Thanks in advance!

Starting Score: 660
Current Score: 691
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Outrageous Repayment

Have you spoken with Sallie Mae about getting into an IBR or ICR program? Those acronyms stand for "Income-based repayment" and "income-contingent repayment", and both can help lower your payments.

I would say call Sallie ASAP and tell them you need a payment plan with lower payments.

Message 2 of 13
michintom
Valued Member

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

Have you spoken with Sallie Mae about getting into an IBR or ICR program? Those acronyms stand for "Income-based repayment" and "income-contingent repayment", and both can help lower your payments.

I would say call Sallie ASAP and tell them you need a payment plan with lower payments.

Thank you for the reply!  I'll go ahead and call them first thing tomorrow morning!

Message 3 of 13
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Thats what i did got my payments reduced its crazy how much they expect you to pay a month . I got mine cut to a fourth of what they wanted but im doing the graduated payment plan.
Message 4 of 13
michintom
Valued Member

@twall06 wrote:
Thats what i did got my payments reduced its crazy how much they expect you to pay a month . I got mine cut to a fourth of what they wanted but im doing the graduated payment plan.

Thanks!  I just called Sallie Mae and I'm still under a grace period.  The lady I spoke to said it would be very easy for me to get a income-based repayment since my gross income and monthly payment to sallie mae is over 30%.  I'll call back first thing on May 1st.  Hopefully I'll be able to lower my payments a lot.  Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 13
Simply827
Established Contributor

Do you have any private loans in that mix or are they all Federal? If you have private loans they won't be eligible for IBR.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 6 of 13
michintom
Valued Member

@Simply827 wrote:

Do you have any private loans in that mix or are they all Federal? If you have private loans they won't be eligible for IBR.

It's a mix of DLSUB, DLUNSUB, and FFELP. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

Those all sound like federal loans, if the DL you are referring to is Direct Loans.  You should be able to roll all of those into IBR.

Message 8 of 13
michintom
Valued Member

@laz98 wrote:

Those all sound like federal loans, if the DL you are referring to is Direct Loans.  You should be able to roll all of those into IBR.

Thank you for the reply.  As long as I can lower the monthly payments, it would be great.

Message 9 of 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

@michintom wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  As long as I can lower the monthly payments, it would be great.

You might have to apply for IBR more than once, if you have loans with different lenders or loan servicers, but it's worth it.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.