Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae

Hello everyone. Quick question. What is the mininium credit score needed to qualify for student loan with no co-signer? I have one more year after the 16-17 school year, but will be out of money for that last year and figure that is the only way to get the $50k I need since I'll be at a 4-year uni. Does anyone know anything, Also what bureau do they use.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae

$50k is a lot of money to spend on one year of schooling - are you sure that your anticipated income after graduation will support payments on that loan?  A good rule of thumb is that your expected annual income should greater than or equal to your loan balance when you graduate for payments to be affordable.

Sallie Mae will not just look at your credit score, but also your income when they make a loan decision.  If you need $50k and aren't currently employed in a well-paying job, there's a good chance you will need a co-signer regardless of your credit score.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be earning my bs in biochemistry. So yes my income after graduation will support my loan payments and that one year is needed. My husband to be is making $62k, but he doesn't have credit yet as he is a new citizen. As of now I'm making about $45k. So thank you for the information, but I really would like to know what credit score is needed.
Message 3 of 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Look into federal loans (FAFSA) first. 50K a year in private loans is like shooting yourself in the foot 200 thousand times.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luscher I know, but there's no other choice. I'll have exhausted all of my federal money after the 16-17 school year.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.