Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Sallie Mae

Does Sallie Mae only deal in private loans or do they also service Federal Sub and Un Sub Loans?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae

All of my federal loans were sold to Sallie Mae. They service them but the payment system is still the federal. (I don't get it)

Message 2 of 6
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@DrZoiberg wrote:

All of my federal loans were sold to Sallie Mae. They service them but the payment system is still the federal. (I don't get it)

How long after you graduated were they sold to SM?  I have Nelnet for my Fed Student Loans.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 6
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

@DrZoiberg wrote:

How long after you graduated were they sold to SM?  I have Nelnet for my Fed Student Loans.

They were sold before  I graduated. It happened 3 years ago. I don't get how the transaction happened but all of my Stafford, Sub, Un-sub were all through the "US Dept of Education" but showed up as Sallie Mae on my CR. Then those accounts were closed and transferred to another Sallie Mae office. It was all behind the scenes stuff. the only thing I do know is that when I pay my federal loans I use the "federal pay system" although it's still through Sallie Mae. This system takes like 5 days to process a payment. My Sallie Mae private loans process in a day using their system. 

All I know is I can go to just one site to pay my loan, which is nice. 

Message 4 of 6
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@DrZoiberg wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@DrZoiberg wrote:

They were sold before  I graduated. It happened 3 years ago. I don't get how the transaction happened but all of my Stafford, Sub, Un-sub were all through the "US Dept of Education" but showed up as Sallie Mae on my CR. Then those accounts were closed and transferred to another Sallie Mae office. It was all behind the scenes stuff. the only thing I do know is that when I pay my federal loans I use the "federal pay system" although it's still through Sallie Mae. This system takes like 5 days to process a payment. My Sallie Mae private loans process in a day using their system. 

All I know is I can go to just one site to pay my loan, which is nice. 

I've heard a lot of bad things about Sallie Mae so I was hoping they didn't carry Fed loans. My daughter will have Fed Loans and I hope she gets Nelnet like I have.  Oh well, no choice I guess. Thanks for telling me.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 6
Rikku
Regular Contributor

In my experience, different servicers of federal SLs are all pretty much the same. Between DH and me, we have had federal SLs serviced by at least four companies, perhaps more that I've forgotten. Mine were originally through Citibank and were transferred to Sallie Mae a couple years ago when Citi got out of the SL business. I don't remember who DH's were originally through or whether they've gone through several companies, but they are currently serviced by Mohela. We've never had an issue with any company, including Sallie Mae. We also both have a private loan through Sallie Mae and no problems there, either. I can't speak to how they handle past due or defaulted loans, but as far as normal payments and periodic calls to customer service go, they are just fine. 

That said, I received an email about a month ago saying that Sallie Mae is splitting their SL business into two companies: one will only do federal SLs and the other will do both. I hope the transition is seamless, as we're getting close to payoff on some of our loans. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.