cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Bachelor's degree student looking for help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Second Bachelor's degree student looking for help!

Hi Everyone, 

I'm 24 and currently working on a second bachelor's degree so that I can go to PA school. I was told by my financial aid office that I would be able to get more Federal Aid once I turned 24 but I recently checked and government isn't offering me anymore. With that said, I was wondering what the deal is with private loans. My credit score is 700, I will not be able to get a cosigner and I'm going to need about 20K for the school year. Any advice would be great!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Second Bachelor's degree student looking for help!

Once you turn 24, you qualify as an indepdendent, which means that your aid is based only on your financial situation without considering your parents income and resources.  It will be tough to get private loans without a co-signer unless you have income of your own.  If you keep your borrowing modest compared to your current ability to repay, that will certainly help.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Second Bachelor's degree student looking for help!

I've been paying just the interest while I'm in school even though all my loans are deferred. I thought the same thing but according to my SAR I'm no longer eligible. I guess I'll have to give the school a call! Thank you for that information!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.