cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servicer went out of business,servicer who took over refuses to remove default info

tag
StazzyBoo
Valued Member

Servicer went out of business,servicer who took over refuses to remove default info

So I defaulted a long time ago and my servicer was Xpress Loan Servicer (XLS), they went out of business so all loan information has been transfered to AES. My transunion credit report shows AES reporting the negative information, my Equifax and Experian states XLS but all the information including account #/deliquency status/date opened/lates/everything matches except the servicer name. I contacted AES they told me to contact Sallie Mae who handless all USA Funds gurantor information. I called them they told me only the servicer whose name is on my report can remove the information.

So I figured since XLS is out of business that the cerdit agencies wouldn't be able to contact them and thus delete the information so I disputed all reports, waited a month and Experian contacts me tell me the invetstigation is complete and that the servicer updated the information but NOTHING about it was updated. I asked them how they contacted them and they told me all contact info is on updated credit report, except all the info it shows is for XLS but the address and phone number are not valid, they don't work so I was puzzled how they ever contacted them. A week before I received letter from AES stating that they updated the credit reports and that I would need to contact Sallie Mae/USA Funds to update the information so I assumed they are the ones who the credit agencies contacted.

I called USA Funds/Sallie Mae and faxed my credit reports and again they said they can't help me and I would need to contact the servicer on the credit report. I did receive letter from USA restating my loan was rehabbed and that they would contact credit agencies and contact old servicers when I defaulted to remove all negative information, Sallie Mae was also my servicer during default and they removed all negative info including lates!

So today I called AES for millionth time and they told they can't help me and I need to contact my gurantor USA Funds/Sallie Mae. I told they their name shows up on one of the credit reports but no the other two but all the information matches, I faxed my rehab letter and letter I received from AES. It's clear it's AES who updated the credit agencies when I dispituted but they are still reporting "Student Loan perm assigned to government; claim failed with government. 120+ past due, etc", I know they don't have to remove the lates but they are required to remove history of default which includes "Student Loan perm assigned to government; claim failed with government.", because that means loan was defaulted.

I hope and pray to God than can help this time around because at least one report shows their name, but I don't know what to do if they don't help me. I called everyone and done everything I could, I exhausted all my means. Please tell me who I should contact, isn't there some organization that helps with things like this? Please HELP! Cat Sad

Aug 2011: EX: Below 500's EQ: Below 500's TU: Below 500's
April 2013: EX: 561 EQ (myFICO): 606 TU: 614
May 2013: EX: 689 EQ (myFICO): 623 TU: 615
June 2013: EX: 712 EQ (myFICO): 659 TU: 649 EQ Direct: 576

Finished rehab August 2012. Equifax no longer shows any deliquency, Experian has one deliquent account, and Transunion has 2 reporting.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Servicer went out of business,servicer who took over refuses to remove default info

Ombusdman's office would be my first option, given the runaround you've gotten. I thought about an MOV, but honestly the Ombudsman will probably be faster.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/disputes

It's at the very bottom of the page.

Message 2 of 5
StazzyBoo
Valued Member

Re: Servicer went out of business,servicer who took over refuses to remove default info

Thank you! I emailed them and I hope they can help because I don't know what to do anymore Smiley Sad  It's beyond frustrating! What's MOV btw?

Finished rehab August 2012. Equifax no longer shows any deliquency, Experian has one deliquent account, and Transunion has 2 reporting.
Message 3 of 5
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Well, disputes with the CRA's often aren't worth it, because they're only required to investigate by E-Oscar. So they don't actually pick up the phone - this is an automated system that basically does a quick search of prior reported information. There's no "investigation" per se of whether the debt is valid - only that it was reported. All but useless.

Thread on this here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/E-OSCAR/m-p/382221/highlight/true#M39100

The idea behind MOV is that it forces the CRA's to at least tell you how they got their information. I had a TL from a closed collection agency, so I couldn't even call the CA to get any info. The only way I could even find out how they got the information was to send an MOV letter. Then I at least knew who was responsible for updating the reporting. It's kind of a last-ditch thing, if you've exhausted all other options.

More on MOV: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Method-Of-Verification-MOV/m-p/9859

Message 4 of 5
StazzyBoo
Valued Member

Thanks for this info, this is really helpful Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.