cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settled 3 charged off private student loans- how do I get my information accurately updated to CRAs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settled 3 charged off private student loans- how do I get my information accurately updated to CRAs?

I recently negotiated settlements for 3 private student loans that had been charged off / reported as bad debt. Payment was made on 6/22/17 and the CA (Asset Recovery Solutions) told me to call back in 30 days to request receipt eligibility. I did this and they sent me 3 letters explicitly stating that my accounts had all been settled in full. My credit report shows that while the accounts were all last reported by the CA on 7/1/17 they were still listed as charge-offs and showing unpaid balances. What would be the best way to go about getting my credit report to accurately reflect what the letters from the CA so clearly show? The letters are succinct and explicit: The total current balance is listed as $.00" and the body of the letters reads:

"Asset Recovery Solutions, LLC hereby acknowledges that your account referenced above has been settled in full. Nothing contained within this letter changes or in any way limits any of your legal rights, including your rights as set forth in our first letter to you about this account."

What would be the best (I wish I could say fastest but nothing about credit repair comes quickly) way to get this information updated accurately on all of my credit reports?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settled 3 charged off private student loans- how do I get my information accurately updated to C

Just dispute on the basis of inaccurate balance and attach the letters.  Since you are attaching proof, I wouldn't expect it to take the full 30 days, but then again, maybe it will take longer to get physical eyes on the documents.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settled 3 charged off private student loans- how do I get my information accurately updated to C

Thank you! I used Credit Karma to dispute with Transunion and two days later I got the dispute results... Not only did the dispute work, the accounts were removed entirely!  I thought they would just show up as settled in full but nope, gone is the entire ugly history of those 3 student loans! They had been completely delinquent/charged off for years, with the date of first delinquency as October 2010. Even though it hasn't been quite 7 years (that's a couple of months off) could that have been the reason they were deleted entirely?

I disputed online with Experian (no update yet, Credit Karma was just ridiculously fast I guess) and had to resort to sending a letter with the necessary documentation to Equifax - I could not for the life of me get their online dispute to work, argh.

With the 3 negative accounts completely removed Credit Karma says my transunion score increased by 57 points (729) and myFICO 64 points (700)! Transunion was my lowest score and now it's technically in the "Good" range. I am so excited, I might be able to actually get the new-to-me car I so desperately need!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My tradelines were deleted entirely on TU and EX, so I don't think the date has anything do with it.  I saw some good increases with mine being deleted as well, but there were also other things happening, so I'm not sure exactly how much my score increased.  I am still battling with EQ on mine as they updated the comments to PAYS AS AGREED and the dispute results also said that the payment history would be deleted, but it wasn't nor were the remarks of how many days late I was.  Now I am on round two with them hoping that they actually delete them. I know they don't have to, but since they said that they were going to...

Message 4 of 5
StartinOver
Frequent Contributor

IHATETHISSTUFF, Can you share the original amount owed and the accepted payoff?

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.