Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement for a non-defaulted private loan

tag
nicetie

Settlement for a non-defaulted private loan

Hello.

I opened a private loan with Chase back in 2006 for an amount of $15k. Since then, it has accrued over $10k (7.5%) in interest and my current amount is at $26k. I deferred for 5 years until 2011 when Chase stated I had to start paying a minimum payment. I was using my federal loans at that time to pay my Chase student loans. For the past 2 years, I've been paying only the minimum and the current amount is still the same.

At this point, I have thought about settling with Chase because I can't deal with this loan anymore. A family member said they would lend me $11k to pay off this loan.

1) Does anyone know if Chase is willing to settle for non-defaulted loans? I would pay them a lump sum of $11k if they were willing to settle.

2) If they do not want to settle, would it be advisable to not pay my loan for 6 months and then have it defaulted? And then settle with a collection company? I don't mind it lowering my credit score - I don't plan on owning a home or buying a car anytime soon.

3) Also, my father was the co-signer of this loan. While he is filing for bankruptcy soon, the Chase loan shows up on HIS credit report, but not mine. Would this be a problem?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Settlement for a non-defaulted private loan

I doubt very seriously that any lender would settle a current loan for less than the debt owed outside of some sort of loan forgiveness or other type of similar program.  While you can certainly ask, I think a better tactic might be to contact Chase and ask them if there is some way to lower the payment to a manageable level that still makes progress on the principal of the loan.  Perhaps you could pay down a chunk of the loan and then consolidate it (maybe Chase or another private student loan lender would do this with one loan?) or refinance it otherwise using a personal loan or line of credit, to reduce the payment and interest rate.

If you let the loan default, you will do serious damage to your credit, which will not just impact your ability to get a car or home.  Other current lenders might take adverse action (like reducing your credit limit or closing CC accounts), you may not qualify to rent certain apartments, and a potential employer might not hire you if they review your credit.  It can also increase car insurance rates.

If your father co-signed and this loan is on his report, it will also impact him negatively.  His bankruptcy will not remove this loan from his report (student loans cannot be discharged in bankrupty, so I believe he will still be responsible for it), and it could hamper his efforts to rebuild his credit when the slate is wiped clean.

You took on this debt, and the responsible thing to do is repay it, even if that is hard.  Now's the time to start thinking about ways to increase income and reduce expenses so that you can get that done.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.