Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Collections Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Collections Question

Hello everyone!!

I've been browsing this forum for a few months and I'll say I've found some useful information in regards to credit topics. I have a student loan question. I'm currently in collections on a student loan since April 2019 with CRI, Inc or Central Research, Inc for a total amount of $30K. I'm currently on a payment plan with them for about $103 per month. I'm getting close to my end of my plan with them (9th payment will be in Dec 11th).

Question for everyone on here. What would be my next steps?? I was going to call on the 11th of December to make sure that I get documentation that I've completed the payment plan. I'm a little stumped on the next steps so a little bit of informaiton will help.

Thanks Everyone

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Student Loan Collections Question

Congratulations on your (nearly) successful rehab!

Once your rehab is successfully completed, your student loan will be reassigned to a servicer, it may or may not be the same as the original servicer.   They should communicate with you about who your new servicer is, how much the loan is for, how much your payment is (and if they're really good, different payment options available, though you might have to nudge them for that).

I would recommend you do go ahead and call them and confirm everything with them.  Keep detailed notes.   A lot of rehabs "fail" at this point, because of communication (lack thereof, really).   There are plenty of times where people don't hear from the new servicer and have trouble with redefaults or lates at that point.  

It might take some time for reporting, but the default should go away and your loans will become positive tradelines with the original opening date.   The student loan servicers are not required to remove the lates, but many do -  the default is mandated to go away.  If the lates remain (give it a while, student loan servicers take forever to report everything), I would recommend you send them goodwill letters to get them removed.   There's no guarantee they'll remove them, but you might luck out.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.