Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan DOFD Issue

tag
JM427
Contributor

Student Loan DOFD Issue

I have been working diligently over the past 16 months at cleaning up my past credit struggles.  I am in need of help to formulate the best and most appropriate strategy to handle the last major issues that I have on my EQ and TU credit files.  Between 2012 and 2014 I attended school at Lamar Universtiy and took out federal student loans.  I took out 3 Direct Subsidized loans totalling $9,131, and 3 Direct Unsubsidized Loans totalling $17,800.  I left school in December of 2014.  The loans went into repayment as of June of 2015, and were being serviced by Nelnet.  I never made a payment on any of these loans from when I left school, until the loans were closed and transferred to Coast Professional collections at the beginning of 2019.  In the summer of 2019 I made arrangements with Coast to rehab the loans, and the rehab was completed in the spring of 2020.  When I completed the rehab, I had six new positive tradelines appear on my credit report, the default information was removed from the 6 old Nelnet tradelines that show closed and sold.  As I understand the law and the process this is all correct and the way it should happen.

Where I have an issue is with regards to DOFD on the 6 original Nelnet tradelines.  As I mentioned, I never made a singal payment on these loans.  When researching the issue, it appears that every few months throughout 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, Nelnet placed my loans in administrative forebearance without my knowledge or request thus effectively re-setting the DOFD by making it appear that several strings of lates were each brought current, then became late again.  While I doubt their was nefarious intent in these actions, the resuls are the same.  By my figurring, if these administrative forebearance periods were not breaking the chains of delinquencies, then they would be deleted from my report somewhere between the spring and summer of 2022 instead of nearly 2025 which is shown on my credit report.

I disputed this with the CRA's due to inaccurate DOFD prior to researching the issue, and it of course came back as correctly reported.  I( was hoping someone might have encountered this and had some advice or input on the best course of action to take from here.

Jessie

FICO8 Scores as of 2020 JULY 14:

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 3:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 3:
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Student Loan DOFD Issue

Have you contacted Nelnet to see if they'll fix the DOFD on that?      If not, I would start with them.

If you already have (or they cannot/will not adjust the issue to be accurate), the best advice if they've incorrectly changed the DOFD is to submit proof & paperwork to the CFPB to see if they can get it straightened out with the CRAs.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.