Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Disability Discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Disability Discharge

Now that I think about it Capz, I checked my CreditKarma report, mand it said I was late on payments, when I was told in the TPD letter that Nelnet would tell the lenders to not send or ask for money from me, so I wonder if I should contact Nelnet and/or Navient, because I am not paying back that interest that they keep tacking on to me.

If you don't me asking, and for anyone who has went through the doctors certification, what was needed for you? What additional information would be needed?

Message 71 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically, when you submit your Nelnet app., they are to let all lenders know to put all of your student loans in deferment status for 90 days, pending final decision. I would ask Nelnet why you still see these loans active, since your application is under review.

the only documents I needed to submit to Nelnet for the original application was the physician statement. They may request additional information, but I don't know what. Best to keep updated by calling them.

Just. Heads up, Navient will continue to add interest, and show balance due even after you receive the letter approving discharge. Somehow, they are getting away with this. I am about to go to the ombudsmen about the way Navient is handling my situation. 

Message 72 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Capz, on my Navient profile it says next due date is 9/23/15, even though I was told in letter when I had to fill it out that they would tell my lender, being just Navient, to stop asking for payment(s), I have like 6 loans that are up for discharge in case this goes through.

I hope that what you said is all that is needed, cause that's what I sent in, my Doctor signed it, and gave a description of my illness, so hopefully it's enough. If not, I will dispute it, as it says on the DisabilityDisacharge.com website that I have a right to dispute it if I disagree with the Dept of Ed's decision. It seems like they should approve it, but in life nothing is a given, so I now wait, and hope to hear this week on the next step if there is one.

Thanks again Capz, I hope it works out for you, and I pray Navient doesn't start this with me if I get my dishcarge letter, and I will be calling Nelnet tomorrow/later today and ask why I have interest accruing and why I have due dates on Navient.com.

-Jason

Message 73 of 128
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that I think about it Capz, I checked my CreditKarma report, mand it said I was late on payments, when I was told in the TPD letter that Nelnet would tell the lenders to not send or ask for money from me, so I wonder if I should contact Nelnet and/or Navient, because I am not paying back that interest that they keep tacking on to me.

If you don't me asking, and for anyone who has went through the doctors certification, what was needed for you? What additional information would be needed?

You mentioned that you just sent your application for discharge in about a week ago, but even if they had been able to get the deferrment started on that day, it doesn't seem like it would have prevented these lates.  (Also, you can't go by CK all the time, I've noticed often that they're incorrect).

Hopefully they will get your payments deferred quick so that you have that one less thing to worry about.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 74 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 2b2rich, I noticed on CK that it's really weird, I have some debt listed twice, like my loans listed twice, with different amounts, different from what Navient.com has me listed.

But I always keep getting alerts from CK about being delequent on new accounts. They added like a few hundred or more in debt on my loans that are to be discharged if the TPD is approved. 

Maybe I'm wrong,  but the app that they sent me said that they would contact my lender, being Navient, and tell them to stop asking for payments for 120 days. Is that correct, or did I mis read that?

Also CK only has Equifax, and Transunion for my CRs.

-Jason

Message 75 of 128
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks 2b2rich, I noticed on CK that it's really weird, I have some debt listed twice, like my loans listed twice, with different amounts, different from what Navient.com has me listed.  This can happen (with student loans) for a couple of reasons.  The most common is because they break them up into the subsidized amount and the unsubsidized amount (one is the amount that did not collect interest while you were in school, the other is the amount while you were not in school (or since school). 

But I always keep getting alerts from CK about being delequent on new accounts. They added like a few hundred or more in debt on my loans that are to be discharged if the TPD is approved.  This may be accrued interest.  It happens.  It's not going to matter if you're approved.

Maybe I'm wrong,  but the app that they sent me said that they would contact my lender, being Navient, and tell them to stop asking for payments for 120 days. Is that correct, or did I mis read that?  They will, but I don't think the amount of time is important.  If it takes them longer than 90 - 120 days to complete, you will not be required to make payments during that time.

Also CK only has Equifax, and Transunion for my CRs.

-Jason

One thing I wanted to mention is that they had to verify with the VA the information on the form that I sent them.  I called over a month after they received my claim and they told me the request to the VA had just been sent that day, so I don't know if someone dropped the ball or if they were just taking that long to process at the time.  

The reason I mention that is because I'm sure they'll need to contact your doctor also, for the same reasons so just keep logging in and checking the status of your claim.  If it seems to be taking a month or more, ask your doctor if they've received any request and if not, call Nelnet.

Message 76 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again 2b2rich, for the online account, could I find out before the decision letter is sent out if I was approved or denied? Or is it usually slower to update the online accounts. I imagine they have thousands of applications sent in every month, I understand it takes time, just nerve racking not knowing your own fate so to speak.

Like I've said I'm just hoping and praying for the word I got the discharge approved. I can't in anyway pay back $22K. I also figure they will contact my doctor, which is fine, my doctor believes me, and knows me better than any other doctor ever has, he see's me once a month, due to the fact he doesn't take my insurance, so I pay out of pocket. But he's never done wrong by me.

-Jason

Message 77 of 128
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Im not sure what yours will change to since I think you will have the 3 year monitoring period, but yes, the status in my online account at disabilitydischarge changed to "Permanent Discharge" long before I got any kind of letter.  Yours might say something else, but I believe it will change in the online account before you get the letter. 

Message 78 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I got off the phone with Nelnet, and they said the process takes up to 120 days, if it does, I hope it goes fast. 

Message 79 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I received the letter explaining the process, said if could take up to 30 days from when they started the review process, which was the 11th of this month, so hopefully I hear something in te next few weeks.

Also said could take longer if they need more information.

Message 80 of 128
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.