Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Disability Discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Disability Discharge

I talked to Nelnet Thursday, and the CSR made it sound like it was going to be approved, i don't know if that;s the norm, and they tell them to say that.

On another note, my Navient loans keep increasing, which are the only loans I have, are through Navient, what should I do? I was told they aren't supposed to ask or increase my loans, also is it true that if Approved, they discharge everything owed on the loan, not just principal balance?

-Jason

Message 81 of 128
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I talked to Nelnet Thursday, and the CSR made it sound like it was going to be approved, i don't know if that;s the norm, and they tell them to say that.  They would never tell me anything like that.  I was fairly sure that it would be, but they wouldn't say either way.

On another note, my Navient loans keep increasing, which are the only loans I have, are through Navient, what should I do? I was told they aren't supposed to ask or increase my loans, also is it true that if Approved, they discharge everything owed on the loan, not just principal balance?  How do you mean 'they keep increasing'?  Do you mean weekly, monthly..? by very much?   Interest was always added to mine at the end of the year.  When my discharge was approved, I logged into my online account and saw that the principal amount had been subtracted and all that was left was the interest.  I called them and they said it just takes a little longer before that clears, but no, I didn't have to pay it.  

-Jason

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 82 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, as predicted by Maidendance, my scores fell. Additionally, the now paid student loans are not reporting on my CRs as "student loan permanently assigned to the government" AND " Account transferred or sold Student loan Variable/Adjustable rate" and "Paid Loan". Amongst other reasons. So, instead of this helping, it is hurting my scores. One loan reports paid and closed. 

Anyone else have this problem once the loans were transferred back to Nelnet and Paid? Can someone please pm me any contact information, or guidance as to what I should do next. I was afraid that this may happen after Maidendance giving their experience. Apparently, the now paid student loans are as damaging to credit, than prior to the TPD. Would appreciate contact info for fico, and NCHER, and whoever else I need to contact. Any and all leads greatly appreciated. This was a TPD signed by a physician.

i really need help.  Thank you all.

Message 83 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

As of 10/19/15 which is today my TPD has been approved, sent in and they received it on September 11th, 2015, so a little over a month, not bad, thanks to all for the help.

Message 84 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone, question for those who fgot the TPD Approved, and had loans through Navient, how long did it take for them to transfer them to Nelnet to be discharged, and also does Navient get any money, how does this work? Who ends up getting paid, if Nelnet pays the loans off? If Navient does get the money why don't they transfer them right away or within a few weeks, it's been enarly 2 months since I was approved. Getting annoying.

Message 85 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very happy to report that today, the 3rd of Februrary, I received my letter saying my loans have been discharged.

Took from 10/19/15 to 1/25/16 for them to discharged, now I have the 3 years period.

And hopefully my credit score finally goes back up to where it used to be.

Message 86 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations.  I am very proud of you.

Message 87 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

My student loans were discharged in the 1990's for disability. I was in college from 1981-1983. Recently, I received a collection notice from a creditor on behalf of U of Miami for an NDSL loan which should have been discharged - AND this is over 30 years later. My question is whether this is legal? My comment is even if your loans get discharged, they can STILL come back to haunt you 30+ years later. "That ain't right". 

It's like someone got wind that I'm trying to rebuild my life and they want to tear me back down again. 

Second note,my loans were discharged over the phone 30 years ago. I'm sure they sent paperwork, but not sure where it is. I know this sounds irresponsible and it is, but it is also 30 years later and I was on disability for a reason after all. Get and keep your paperwork (apparently forever) if you get the loans discharged.

Message 88 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get and KEEP all of your paperwork FOREVER - please see my post above

Message 89 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is absolutely horrible and shameful~! I can't believe we could treat our veterans that way! 

Thank you for your service

Message 90 of 128
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.