Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan - FICO Simulator

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Student Loan - FICO Simulator

Not sure if I should post in this forum or Student Loan forum. I took out student loan for my Graduate school. I have been deferring the loan. When I use the FICO simulator it is suggesting if I pay down my student loan debt any where from $3000 - $18000 there will be a boost of 30 points for my report. Should I go ahead and start paying the student loan and bring that balance down ? Or wait for next 6 months and clean up the COs/Collections off my report and then pursue start paying off the student loan. Interest on my student loan is much less. Any thoughts ?

5 REPLIES 5
Mookey67
Contributor

Re: Student Loan - FICO Simulator

I wouldn’t put much trust in those simulators. What is going to keep your score suppressed are those collections and charge offs. Your biggest boost will come from addressing those. For assistance with those I would recommend you post the question on the credit rebuilding forum. There are some very knowledgeable people on there who be able to assist you a great deal. Good luck
Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 2 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would pay students LAST.

They do not affect your scores like regular loans.

My wife hovers around 800 and has a TON of student loans.

If you want to pay, pay but don’t do it for your scores especially if you have ANY cc debt.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I would pay students LAST.

They do not affect your scores like regular loans.

My wife hovers around 800 and has a TON of student loans.

If you want to pay, pay but don’t do it for your scores especially if you have ANY cc debt.

Thanks. I do not have any current credit card debt. But bunch of COs/CAs on the report that I am trying to clean up. Simulator says if I reduce some student loan balance I would get about 30 point score gain. Not sure.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm over 100% on my student loans and now they're near 800 too. I went from low-mid 700's just improving my utilization other places and the biggest jump was when my lates fell off. I've always found the simulator guided me to do the wrong thing and I didn't get the gain I expected until people on the forum actually explained the elements of my score and what was likely keeping it down.
If you're willing to share details in the other board, they can give some stellar advice, down to the creditor.
If your student loans are federal, I can help you determine if there's a more affordable plan to reduce your payments temporarily to throw everything at the CO's if you'd like.
Message 5 of 6
calyx
Super Contributor

I would work on your other issues before worrying about your student loans.
Installment loans have a much smaller impact on FICO (if they're in good standing) scoring than derogatory items or revolving lines.

Ignore simulators - they cannot even begin to correctly estimate any changes - our credit files have so many more factors and so much more depth than they are capable of working with.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.