Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Forgiveness for Disabled Persons

tag
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Student Loan Forgiveness for Disabled Persons

Student Loan Forgiveness for the Disabled

Below are listed informational sources for Federal student loan forgiveness for person's with disabilities.

1)
"If you’re totally and permanently disabled, you may qualify for a discharge of your federal student loans and/or Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant service obligation."

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/disability-discharge

2)
Student Loan Forgiveness for Disability: 100% Debt Discharge

https://studentloansresolved.com/2021/05/10/student-loan-forgiveness-for-disability-100-percent-debt...

3)
Student Loan Forgiveness for Disability: How to Discharge Debt

https://studentloanhero.com/featured/student-loan-disability-discharge/

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness for Disabled Persons

Do you have insight on how to remove discharged student loans from my credit repoart?

Message 2 of 15
calyx
Super Contributor

Assuming it's correctly reported:

Why would you want your discharged loans removed?   If they are closed due to discharge, they'll stay on your credit report for up to 10(+) years after closing and contribute to your aging metrics.

If it's a negative tradeline (defaulted before discharge), it will stay on your report fo 7y from the DOFD, though you can try to get it removed through goodwill letters.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just dropping my information here in case someone needs it.

I separated with a 100% service connected rating from the military on 11/25/2020. Submitted my student loan discharge information to the Total and Permanent Disability Servicing Dept on 11/26/2020. 12/1/2020 I received confirmation they received my award letter and that my information was in review status. 1/4/2021 I noticed my student loans had all been paid off and I received a letter in the mail shortly afterwards stating my loans were since paid in full.

Message 4 of 15
CaptainConcorde
New Contributor

I had to retire last year due to worsening PTSD symptoms.  I had over $140k in student loans with Nelnet.  I'm 100% P&T with the VA and am collecting SSDI now (in my 50's).  I was able to have my loans discharged in about three months and it was a fairly easy process.  There is a three year follow-up period where I will need to recertify my income (since I'm not working it's not an issue).  

In My Wallet:

Total Credit Lines: $11,100 - Utilization: 8%

Mortgage and Car Loan:

Rebuild Started March 2024
March 2024 FICO 8:

April 2024 FICO 8:

Message 5 of 15
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Education Department will cancel student debt for more than 320,000 borrowers

Very specific set of circumstances, via CNBC. 

The debt forgiveness, which will go to borrowers with a total and permanent disability, will be automatically granted using data already available to the Social Security Administration. People should start seeing the relief in September.

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Education Department will cancel student debt for more than 320,000 borrowers

Hallelujah! It's incredible that it's taken this long. I wish those folks the best, they've got enough on their plate

Message 7 of 15
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Education Department will cancel student debt for more than 320,000 borrowers

Oh good.   They've got enough without having to deal with the rigamarole of cancellation bureaucracy.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are talking about automatically canceling the loans based on total disability. They will find these borrowers is social security disability records.

The weasel in the woodpile is that this has been going on for some time. It's nothing new. I could not tell you exactly when the program started but, it was at least two years ago or longer. (I looked into it myself).

Is someone trying to steal a bit of credit?

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not new.

Finding soc sec disability recipients and canceling their SLs based on "total and permanent disability" has been going on for the past few years, at least. (My PCP and I went through this).

The same for VA disability recipients.

Seems that someone is trying to take credit that is not deserved.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.