Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Refinancing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Refinancing

My wife and I have paid off all our debt with the exception of our mortgage and my student loans.  The two student loans I currently have are:

1.  Subsidized Consolidated Loan (Direct) through Navient - $51,000 - 6% interest once COVID emergency relief is over 01/31/22

2.  Unsubsidized Consolidated Loan (Direct) through Navient - $44,000 - 6% interest once COVID emergency relief is over 01/31/22

I do have a few thousand to put towards the loans before the COVID relief is over and I do plan on paying $1,000 to $1,500 a month once relief is over.  I am wondering if it would make sense to try and refinance these loans at this time?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TC1212
Regular Contributor

Re: Student Loan Refinancing

Do you know if you happen to qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness?  Have you worked for a government agency or not-for-profit or tax exempt agency?  If so, check with MyFedLoans first to see if you may qualify for the program.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I don't work for a year or two as a contractual employee for the state but I don't believe that counts.  My wife is a school teacher, but again, I don't believe that would help me.

Message 3 of 4
TC1212
Regular Contributor

You're correct, contractual employees don't qualify.  However, if your wife has separate loans she may qualify.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.