cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan application

tag
Dom1o2

Student Loan application

Hello all, I am currently a college student studying for my Bachelors. I have used most of my money on my Associates and now will need a loan to finish. Does anyone know the impact my score would face if they ran my credit? I've worked so hard to get my credit where it is now TU: 749; EX: 750; Experian :748. I am also in the pre approval stages of house hunting. Do you reccomend putting school on hold until house hunting is complete? 

All information helps, thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan application

I would recommend applying for the FAFSA. They don't need to run your credit it all for federal student loans. 

They will show up as new accounts on your credit report so that should be something you discuss with a loan officer in terms of your credit. However you should be applying ASAP for the FAFSA if you want any of the non-loan funds. Keep an eye on the deadline too. 

You have great scores though! Congrats and good luck on your house hunting.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically while still in school your loans will be in deferment. Mortgage lenders know you'll need to start paying on these at some point, so they have to calculate a monthly payment amount. This monthly payment amount is combined with your other debts (CC payments, car payment, etc) to calculate your debt to income ratio (DTI, monthly debt payments / gross monthly income). DTI is what they use to determine how much they'll let you borrow for a house. It will depend on what type of loan you go for (conventional, FHA, VA) but a common way they calculate monthly payment for loans in deferment is 1% of the total loan balance. So if you have $20k of student loans they will estimate a $200 monthly student loan payment.

To really determine if the student loans will affect your ability to buy a home we'll need some additional info. Your income, current debts/payments, what price home you are shopping for, how much you expect to borrow in student loans.

Message 3 of 4
Dom1o2

Hello and thanks for your reply. I have already exhausted all of my FASFA funds. I now how to take out a private loan

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.