Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans and Alimony

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans and Alimony

Divorced earlier this year and I was looking at the student load website and looking at the income driven repayment plan. Confused as what my options are and thought I would ask for some advice. I take home $6200 per month after insurance, taxes and etc. I pay my ex wife $3,000 per month alimony. My rent here in CT is $2500. This leaves me $700 per month, not including car insurance, gas, food, electricity, etc. How do they expect me to pay $900 per month? What type of income driven repayment plan is this if they don't take into consideration what you pay out? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans and Alimony

Under the IRS rules of not being able to deduct my alimony to lower my AGI, shouldn't they update the IBR rules?

"Under these plans, your required monthly payment is generally a percentage of your discretionary income. For all three plans, your discretionary income is the difference between your adjusted gross income (AGI) and 150 percent of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Poverty Guideline amount for your family size and state."

Message 2 of 7
ccquest
Established Contributor

Just going to say something that won't help at all, but it's income based or driven, not available money or situation based, just income. It's the most even way they can apply something to everybody like taxes.

I don't know how it works for you, but this sounds like something you need to bring up in divorce court and get your alimony payment changed, require your ex to make the student loan payment, get onto a deferment/forbearance asap, or refinance the loan to a longer term somewhere else to lower the payment (depends on the loan balance).

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 3 of 7
calyx
Super Contributor

I was about to say - since all of the IDR plans are AGI driven, it might be difficult, but a little internet research (I realize, not perfect) tells me that alimony paid is taken into consideration for your AGI (here's the AGI page at investopedia for one).   I would call your servicer for guidance.   

Even as a single, no-dependents earner, the loan calculator isn't very good at estimating what I pay, so going straight to your servicer will probably be your best bet on payment there.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Under the IRS rules of not being able to deduct my alimony to lower my AGI, shouldn't they update the IBR rules?

"Under these plans, your required monthly payment is generally a percentage of your discretionary income. For all three plans, your discretionary income is the difference between your adjusted gross income (AGI) and 150 percent of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Poverty Guideline amount for your family size and state."

I'm not a CPA or tax expert but if you're paying alimony it should count as an adjustment to income and would be deductible ( i.e. on line 10 of form 1040 ) which would then lower your AGI ( line 11 of form 1040 ).

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, alimony is no longer tax deductible effective 2019 I believe under Trump's new tax policy.

Message 6 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Thanks @Anonymous !  Here's a link to the IRS guidance on this:   

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/clarification-changes-to-deduction-for-certain-alimony-payments-effective-in-2019

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.