cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans and Credit Reports - When do lates fall off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans and Credit Reports - When do lates fall off?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans and Credit Reports - When do lates fall off?

So am I reading the article right??

I have several Federal loans that were eventually consolidated into 2 new tradelines.

The original accounts will completely fall off 7 years from the first derogatory... or just the lates will fall off month by month?

The original trade lines are technically paid off through the consolidation so I guess I still am not understanding what's going to happen to them. It would be nice if the original accounts stayed but the lates were removed.

Thoughts?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This article was the first that I'd ever read of this, with such by detail. It seems very tricky!
My understanding is the old tradelines should stay on for 10 years. But the late should fall off in 7, from the DofD. So if it's a string, the whole string. I wouldn't do a dispute though. Imo it could risk getting the whole thing being removed.
I'm not sure though.
Message 3 of 6
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This article was the first that I'd ever read of this, with such by detail. It seems very tricky!
My understanding is the old tradelines should stay on for 10 years. But the late should fall off in 7, from the DofD. So if it's a string, the whole string. I wouldn't do a dispute though. Imo it could risk getting the whole thing being removed.
I'm not sure though.

This is what I believe happens as well.   Since it was a positive tradeline, but had lates, the lates should just age off, leaving a positive tradeline until up to 10 years from when it was consolidated/closed.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure they are considered positive trade lines anymore, they are marked closed, derogatory on my reports.

It's funny though... they have a removal date listed on Transunion, so I am guessing that when the string of lates hits, the entire trade line will be removed (the lates were up until the accounts were closed).

Message 5 of 6
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am not sure they are considered positive trade lines anymore, they are marked closed, derogatory on my reports.

It's funny though... they have a removal date listed on Transunion, so I am guessing that when the string of lates hits, the entire trade line will be removed (the lates were up until the accounts were closed).

Sounds just like my (old) student loan lines, in which case, I would think they'll fall off/be deleted at the 7y mark.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.