Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans and Credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans and Credit report

Hi Folks,

In going over my credit report again, I noticed that my defaulted Federal student loan is simply showing "closed", not derogatory or anything. I'm currently rehabbing the loan post bankruptcy, but I was wondering if I would be able to request that this entry be deleted from my credit report? The closed date is 9 years ago and it's not a Perkins loan, so I thought it was a maximum of 7 years to stay on my reports. Is this something I can request be removed? I'm working with PHEAA on my rehab and they don't show up anywhere on my credit report. Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been asked and answered (I wouldn't mind the assist on directing me to the thread if it does exist). Here is the relevant info:

Last Reported
Aug 31, 2006
Creditor Name
US DEP ED
Account Type
Student
Account Status
Closed
Opened Date
Apr 03, 2002
Closed Date
Aug 31, 2006
Payment Status
Unknown
Worst Payment Status
Unknown
Date of Last Payment
Aug 25, 2006
Amount Past Due
$0
Times 30/60/90 Days Late
0/0/0
Remarks
Closed

Payment History
No payment history has been reported by this creditor.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Re: Student Loans and Credit report

Most likely not. My loans switched service providers a few times before I ultimately had them Disability Discharged last year. So I basically have 24 loans showing "paid/closed" and/or "transferred/closed".

EDIT: Your "Closed" ones in August 2006 may come off August 2016 though.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 2 of 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Only negative accounts are required to be removed after seven years.  From what you posted, it seems like there isn't any negative information on this account, so it will probably stick around for ~10 years.  There's no real reason to want it gone sooner, it's not hurting anything and may be helping your score.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't even think about that. I just saw Student Loan and immediately thought it was something dragging down my credit score. Never considered that it could actually be a positive. Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.