Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans on Spouse Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans on Spouse Credit Report

Soooooo quick question. Has anyone had their loans reporting on their spouse’s credit report? This seems like a big no no. Should we simply dispute them? If anyone has had this issue how did you handle it? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans on Spouse Credit Report

Hello,
It would be helpful if you would provide more detail. Federal or private? What kind of loans? Are they in repayment? Etc.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. They are all federal loans. Not in repayment at the moment. Incurred undergrad and grad before the marriage. Sub and Unsub consolidated Stafford loans.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no reason that I can tell that it should be on there. The only thing I think that could do it would be CA collection attempts and I think not even then. I suggest your spouse dispute it and maybe upload a copy of their file from National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) website if shows nothing there. If that doesn't work I would suggest a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau complaint (CFPB).
Just be aware that if the loan is in good standing, depending on what's on their credit report it could possibly cause a score drop.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding. I will definitely try to dispute first. I just couldn’t think of any reason for them to be there.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.