Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan approval

Hi all, 

I'm a long time observer in this forum, and doing so has improved my credit score from in the 600s to my highest score now being 768. I have a 10 year credit history, federal student loans in good standing,less than 6% credit card utilization, and no derogatory/collection accounts. I am getting an accelerated nursing degree, and need funding for the remainder of my program(about 40k). My Experian score is 765, Equifax is 768, and my  TU is 725. My question is, with my limited history, and scores would you guys suggest any type of lenders that would approve me for a loan without a co-signer? I have a co-signer on stand by if need be, but that's a last resort type of thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Credit_Master
Regular Contributor

Re: Student loan approval

Have you exhausted all federal aid? If not I would fill out your free application for student aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov. I am returning to college (already have my associates) and filled mine out to see if I still qualified and to my surprise I do. I decided to go this route because you get certain benefits for federal aid versus private loans in case something were to happen unexpectedly in the future. You would more than likely qualify for an excellent rate with your scores but you would forfeit the benefits that come with federal loans. I am not an expert in this area by no means and I am sure some of the other members more versed in student loans will give you some more advice. Congratulations on going back to school.

Current Cards

Goal Cards

Total CL $77,100
Message 2 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Federal is the way to go if you can.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, 

I'm a long time observer in this forum, and doing so has improved my credit score from in the 600s to my highest score now being 768. I have a 10 year credit history, federal student loans in good standing,less than 6% credit card utilization, and no derogatory/collection accounts. I am getting an accelerated nursing degree, and need funding for the remainder of my program(about 40k). My Experian score is 765, Equifax is 768, and my  TU is 725. My question is, with my limited history, and scores would you guys suggest any type of lenders that would approve me for a loan without a co-signer? I have a co-signer on stand by if need be, but that's a last resort type of thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

i would definitely go with federal if possible, as the above posters memtioned.

You never know, with nursing you may qualify for loan forgivness of some sort down the road!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses! I have exhausted all of my federal loans from my first degree, and I was able to get about $12,500 for this one. Those loans are under student loan forgiveness. I can apply for forgiveness for the private loan I would be taking out right now because of my current hospital, so I'm not worried about paying it back. 

Message 5 of 8
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Private loan forgiveness?  Like as in your employer is going to reimburse?  Can you explain?  Definitely interesting.  Thanks!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agreed to work for a certain amount of time as an RN at their hospital after I get my license. In return, they forgive or pay for the majority(85%) of my student loans from my nursing degree. They're a public hospital, and fit the "underserved" title. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I agreed to work for a certain amount of time as an RN at their hospital after I get my license. In return, they forgive or pay for the majority(85%) of my student loans from my nursing degree. They're a public hospital, and fit the "underserved" title. 

it is just curious because I thought only Fed loans offered forgiveness, but sonce your employer will be paying back the loans, that is awesome! Great arrangement!

I worked in a state hospital for 15 years and had I known better, all my SLs would have already been forgiven, but unfortunately I did not know, amd now I do contract/travel work, so no go on that front any longer. Oh well, it was a very hard lesson learned!

Congrats! I hope you can find a lender for your continuing ed!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.