Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan debt - looking for a 50 point increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan debt - looking for a 50 point increase

I have $136K between 14 student loans (ranging from $3K to $20K) all in good standing and ~$4K between 2 open credit cards, both in good standing and with 25% utilization. I had a 90-day default event in summer of 2012 on one of my student loans. My credit history is over 10 years old and my FICO score is 680. I am considering paying down in full one of my smaller student loans. I am trying to figure out what amount would raise my FICO by 50 points. Does anyone have a sense of an impact on FICO score?

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loan debt - looking for a 50 point increase

@Anonymouswrote:

I have $136K between 14 student loans (ranging from $3K to $20K) all in good standing and ~$4K between 2 open credit cards, both in good standing and with 25% utilization. I had a 90-day default event in summer of 2012 on one of my student loans. My credit history is over 10 years old and my FICO score is 680. I am considering paying down in full one of my smaller student loans. I am trying to figure out what amount would raise my FICO by 50 points. Does anyone have a sense of an impact on FICO score?

Thank you

Paying your credit cards to under 8.9% would most likely give you more points than paying off a school loan. Getting that late of your credit report would maybe get you the rest of those 50 points. Can never say for sure. But an educated guess.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, getting your cc down to <9%, even better payone off and get other to <5%. You will see a nice jump from this. Mix of credit will be other factor. Is it possible to be put on a relatives cc as an auth user?

Do you have a mortgage or car loan?
Message 3 of 4
martinsoka17
Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
I agree, getting your cc down to <9%, even better payone off and get other to <5%. You will see a nice jump from this. Mix of credit will be other factor. Is it possible to be put on a relatives cc as an auth user?

Do you have a mortgage or car loan?

I agree 100% with this. I saw the biggest jump in my score not from paying off $2,000 worth of my student loans but by paying down all my credit cards to 9% utilization on ONE card. 

Starting Score: 523

Current Scores: EQ: 705 TU: 757 EX: 764

Goal Scores: 800 across the board

in the garden until 2019!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.