cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan possible wage garnishment soon??

tag
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Student loan possible wage garnishment soon??

Hi, Everyone!!

First time post on student loan forum....did'nt think I'd ever have to but, here I am.Smiley Sad

Ok. So, i received a letter from Pioneer CA stating possible wage garnishment if i don't call and set up some kind of payment arraingements.

"NOTICE OF POTENTIAL ADMINISTRATIVE WAGE GARNISHMENT PROCESS"

I'm not sure as to how to go about this?

My loans are off my credit report as of 2016. The school i went to is now CLOSED!!!(WESTWOOD COLLEGE) I do not qualify for forgiveness because I had to have still been enrolled during the closing of the school and at least 120 days out before the closing of the school.

I, on the other hand, had a medical emergency operation during the time i was attending. I was told by the administration of the school that I would be able to take a medical leave and my attending time would basically freeze and start again when I returned. Well, I returned only to be told that I could not attend again and that I would have to REregister and pay ALL OVER again. THAT was $17K!!!! So, I couldn't afford to go back and finish and I wound up just giving up and not going. I was TEEEE'D to say the least!!Smiley Mad

So, now I don't know what to do with this letter and whether or not my wages will be garnished if I just ignore it??? I don't want to but, I don't make enough at the moment to take on another bill!!! 

Any GREAT ADVICE would be much appreciated. I'm in Texas btw in case that matters...?

TIA

Smiley Happy

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loan possible wage garnishment soon??

Oh no, don't ignore it. You are going to have to pay that debt. The US isn't perfect, and you are an example of that, unfortunately. I mean, you got basically nothing but debt from some crappy, doesn't keep their word school that closes and leaves students indebted.

But the reality is that that debt basically cannot be discharged, and if you actually look at the terms the interest is often figured to really screw over the students. It is a very grteat poblem here. Nonetheless, the sooner you can pay it and rid yourself of that monster, the better your life will go. I wish I had better news for you, I really do.

Message 2 of 8
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply!👍

But, WOW! That is so crazy. I mean, I get it, it’s mine but, geez...the SCHOOL is no longer OPEN!! Lmao!! What a joke!! And to top it off they were sued in the state of Colorado for over 4.2 mil in damages and reimbursements!! Holy Cow!!

It’s not on my credit report but, once I rehab these loans they will be, correct? But, it’ll be a positive TL reporting, right? Showing the DoFD as if I’ve never been late or defaulted? Is that my understanding, as I’ve read post after post???
Wow! I’m floored over this! This WILL be tough to try and pay with very little income at the moment. But, from what I’ve read and gathered, they do not care!!! YOU WILL PAY!! This is NOT what I need at this moment as I’ve just started rebuilding...UGH!!!

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800

>

I❤️NY
Message 3 of 8
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@Brooklyn2018 wrote:

But, WOW! That is so crazy. I mean, I get it, it’s mine but, geez...the SCHOOL is no longer OPEN!! Lmao!! What a joke!! And to top it off they were sued in the state of Colorado for over 4.2 mil in damages and reimbursements!! Holy Cow!!

It’s not on my credit report but, once I rehab these loans they will be, correct? But, it’ll be a positive TL reporting, right? Showing the DoFD as if I’ve never been late or defaulted? Is that my understanding, as I’ve read post after post???
Wow! I’m floored over this! This WILL be tough to try and pay with very little income at the moment. But, from what I’ve read and gathered, they do not care!!! YOU WILL PAY!! This is NOT what I need at this moment as I’ve just started rebuilding...UGH!!!

I don't believe it will show DOFD as it will be reporting as a positive tradeline - an account with a DOFD is inherently a negative account. Rehab removes delinquency status but does not remove lates. (Not sure how this works on loans that are no longer reporting.)

Are these loans private or federal loans? If these are federal loans then you'll have the option of selecting an income-based repayment plan.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 4 of 8
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

They are FFEL. Sum of $8,296. With interest and CA fees in the tune of $13$k.

My questions are: DO I HAVE TO go thru the CA? Can I, if applicable,deal with Educational Credit Management Corp?? Or do I HAVE TO deal with the CA?? Can I take out a personal loan and just pay them off?? Will I be able to “Settle For Less?” If I pay a lower lump sum??

Really making me nervous 😬

TIA👍

>

I❤️NY
Message 5 of 8
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@Brooklyn2018 wrote:
They are FFEL. Sum of $8,296. With interest and CA fees in the tune of $13$k.

My questions are: DO I HAVE TO go thru the CA? Can I, if applicable,deal with Educational Credit Management Corp?? Or do I HAVE TO deal with the CA?? Can I take out a personal loan and just pay them off?? Will I be able to “Settle For Less?” If I pay a lower lump sum??

Really making me nervous 😬

TIA👍

I would research your options on the federal student loan website. TBH, I'm not exactly sure how to get the whole process started (i.e. who you need to call and who you need to work through) as both times I went into default a new loan servicer proactively contacted me about taking on my loans and they basically did all of the work for me.

Message 6 of 8
Sloedough
Regular Contributor

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Brooklyn2018 wrote:

I don't believe it will show DOFD as it will be reporting as a positive tradeline - an account with a DOFD is inherently a negative account. Rehab removes delinquency status but does not remove lates. (Not sure how this works on loans that are no longer reporting.)

Are these loans private or federal loans? If these are federal loans then you'll have the option of selecting an income-based repayment plan.

I don't think this is true. I went through rehab and after they removed the default status and they removed all missing/late payments before the rehab started. It now just shows no data reported. YMMV depends on the servercer.

One more note. After rehab, I payed on-time for 3 years. Now my loans are refinanced with Earnest.

Message 7 of 8
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@Sloedough wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Brooklyn2018 wrote:

I don't think this is true. I went through rehab and after they removed the default status and they removed all missing/late payments before the rehab started. It now just shows no data reported. YMMV depends on the servercer.

One more note. After rehab, I payed on-time for 3 years. Now my loans are refinanced with Earnest.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/default/get-out

If you rehabilitate a defaulted loan, the record of the default will be removed from your credit history. However, your credit history will still show late payments that were reported by your loan holder before the loan went into default. 

Sounds like you got lucky. My lates still show. :/

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.